We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top end low season

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Top end low season

I know a lot shuts down over Dec/Jan because of heat and low season but that's when I'd like to go. Other than seeing Darwin for a day or two I'd rather go to Tiwi, Kakadu etc for cultural and wildlife experience plus photography etc so am looking for small group tours, not luxury end, week to 10 days early Jan. Any ideas? Thank you in advance if helpful genuine replies.

Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
1 reply
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top end low season

Hopefully you will fnd my reply genuine and helfpul :}

There are a few things which close, but not alot to be honest.

You can get to the Tiwis via ferry from Cullen Bay as a day trip or a flight over in a light plane- read small and bumpy in the wet. Hold onto your stomach type bumps lol. You cant stay there, but can doa day tour. If you were fishing and staying a lodge then obviously you can stay longer. Its only 20 minutes by plane.

For tours, yes, many cease to run full schedules due to access issues. It depends on the weather as to what the itinerary will be, so dont get your heart set on seeing something as it may not happen if things shut. The parks do not close as such , but rather access to certain roads will close if there has been enough rain. However, much of the attractions to see are via sealed roads and accessible until it really starts to bucket down.

Places like Bamurra and Wildman will close, but other places like Croc in Mercure in Jabiru and Auruora, Cooinda etc all stay open as they are on sealed roads.

For Tours, northernterritory.com/plan… Just google and check out reviews. I dont do tours so cant tell you, but know what we see around the place. Intrepid , AAT, Outback Adventure, then smaller ones like Lords I think, but there are quite a few around. Darwin Day tours may also be a good resource.

Litchfield - try these ones, http://www.ntitours.com.au/ theya re lovely people to deal with.

https://www.experiencethewild.com.au/ bird watching

or do a few cruises like the Wetland cruise near Mary Riiver. Also there are several around Kakaduto pick from.

Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Reply to: Top end low season
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tiwi Islands