We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting The Tiwi Islands

Kelowna, B.C.
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting The Tiwi Islands

Interested in visiting the Tiwi Islands ---day trip or overnight ?

Is it worth the visit -- outstanding or so so ? RSVP with thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting The Tiwi Islands

The Tiwi Islands are on my bucket list to do. I wanted to go last time I was in Darwin but didn't have the time. I really want to visit the Art Centres & meet some of the Aboriginal Artist as their Artwork is very special and very different to the mainland .. if you enjoy Art & Culture I'm sure it would be worth your effort..

Plus you will have to write a Trip report !!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting The Tiwi Islands

Unless you want to stay at a fishing lodge, I'd suggest you go for a day trip.

We have friends who have stayed on Melville Island but they are purely there for fishing and stay at a fishing lodge called Clearwater I think.

Yes, agree with ellemay, if you go we'd love to hear how the day trip went.

LTB

Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting The Tiwi Islands

I did this day trip 4 years ago.

Unforgettable.

Tiwi Bombers.

During this time of year the footy ground is rather wet. Hopefully regular season games can be played more often.

The world famous AFL team .....the Tiwi Bombers are playing tomorrow in a grand semi final.

Checkout the flight schedules on line.

Why would you travel overseas when Tiwi or Kakadu is available?

During the footy season the team fly over every weekend.

4. Re: Visiting The Tiwi Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 08:35

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting The Tiwi Islands

We are visiting Darwin in July & have been considering a visit to the Tiwi Islands. It seems the ferry isn't running at the moment, is that temporary?

Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting The Tiwi Islands

Tiwi Bombers may be heading for the NTFl Grand Final. Tiwi were runners up to St Marys in 2010.

Getting to a Grand final would be a stunning achievement............A full house of over 10,000 would fill TIO stadium..........10percent of total Darwin population!!!

Will keep you posted on the result.

T M
Warragul
Level Contributor
15 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting The Tiwi Islands

We did a one day tour from Darwin in June.

Booked it after arriving in Darwin - offered by "Tiwi Tours" - I think part of AAT Kings. It icludes the 35 min return flights in a little old Cessna - and all day there including lunch.

Its expensive - basically $500 per person - but a great experience and one of those things I'm glad we did.

I might have been a bit naive as I expected we'd meet and talk to the locals. For instance I wanted to talk AFL football as that is part of the local culture. But anyway that absolutely doesn't happen - except for the Tiwi Guide and 4 women who do a meet and greet ceremony.

Otherwise you are not even allowed to accidentally photograph any local person.

But all that is explained and is part of the cultural lesson that you learn on the day.

Some of the day might be a bit redious e.g. you spend 3/4 hour at an art gallery where it is probably hoped you might want to purchase some Tiwi art. We didn't - but some people did.

Overall - very happy to recommend.

Reply to: Visiting The Tiwi Islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tiwi Islands