We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire companies to avoid at Jerez airport?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Car hire companies to avoid at Jerez airport?

Which car rental companies would you recommend steering well clear of, from the airport? A quick search on Expedia brought up amazingly cheap deals from Goldcar, but another quick Google search also brought up plenty of horror stories about this company.

Are there any particularly good local firms, as in honest, reliable and reasonable? Or is it best to go with one of the big companies like Hertz/Europcar etc.?

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,211 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: Car hire companies to avoid at Jerez airport?

So difficult to recommend any one actually as so much depends on personal experiences and such like..

Enterprise, Europcar, Avis, Goldcar and Firefly are the usual suspects. I did notice the other day a Sixt office cabin at the off airport garage nearby and presume they are also possible.

Goldcar do have cars on the airport parking lot as do those others. Often what you see as the headline price is not necessarily the final price so beware of any extras added on especially charge for fuel and insurance. Small print understanding. For recent rentals from that location I have used Firefly and staff and everything was good. Price low but I did my research using DoYouSpain. But other brokers like https://www.economycarhire.com/ are good. Latter having won good reviews by WHICH.

So look at what brokers offer and study the T&Cs closely ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,211 posts
292 reviews
2. Re: Car hire companies to avoid at Jerez airport?

I think Goldcar get bad press partly because people don't read the T&Cs and expect something for nothing. Jerez airport does not see the big numbers that flow through Malaga for example so you do not see the long queues usually.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Car hire companies to avoid at Jerez airport?

Fair enough. I, for one, do make it a point to check over the T&Cs but there also seem to be reports of less-than-transparent charges by Goldcar. I'm not a massive fan of Europcar as a company, but on recent rentals they have been consistent and clear about their fair wear and usage policy, as well as insurance and fuel options.

I'd rather use a company that is prepared to communicate its T&Cs clearly than one that expects forensic due diligence on the part of its customers. Trust has to count for something.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
183 reviews
4. Re: Car hire companies to avoid at Jerez airport?

used most but find hertz the best no hidden charges

just remember that all hire company's are after your money

you learn by experience

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Car hire companies to avoid at Jerez airport?

Reading Gold cars T&Cs doesn`t always help because nowhere does it say that the so called full tank of petrol at an exorbitant price per litre that turns out to not be full and the monies taken from credit cards for damages that the hirer was supposed to have caused and no invoices are ever forthcoming .

These "repairs" are often then charged to the next customer .

An acquaintance of mine returned a car only to be told that he has caused some damage and he would be charged . Considering that he had parked the car about 20 yards away and out of sight of the office and the man walked straight to the car and pointed out two small scratches under the bumper !

When the hirer pointed out that the scratches were rusty and had obviously been there for months the claim was dropped --- with no apology.

No wonder they were rated the worst car hire company in Europe .

Avoid them .

Graham

6. Re: Car hire companies to avoid at Jerez airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2016, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Jerez De La Frontera