We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamenco festival 2017

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Flamenco festival 2017

My husband and I are planning to visit Jerez to coincide with the Flamenco Festival next year. We have the dates but would appreciate local advice about booking tickets. Do we need to do this in advance or can we book once we are in the city? Are there good shows on every date of the festival? Do hotels get booked up early?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

Obviously for the star acts you need to buy in advance. There is an online ticketing facility when programme available. I have been to a few performances and it was sensible to have bought ahead as some shows very popular with locals.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

Thanks for your advice. With your past experience - would you say that the best performances tend to be at the weekend? We are trying to work out a schedule to include a trip to Donana Nature Reserve and want to do their tour on a Tuesday.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
292 reviews
3. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

Taste the programme for this year and investigate days of the week and times etc

guiaflama.com/festivales-flamenco/…

Edited: 24 August 2016, 16:05
Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
119 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

Hi are you a dancer or spectator? Or both? The reason I ask is because Im told from many frieds that go yearly that some of the packages of classes include shows. Are you also on FB? My name is Ana Maria Suarez.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
292 reviews
5. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

Hope you do get more responses from anybody that has attended a course but as you say some of these will organise visits to some performances so one needs to organise things quickly as the program of courses is published and sure you can email to find out more.

jerez.es/nc/…

Lower Economy...
Level Contributor
64 posts
75 reviews
6. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

We will also be visiting Jerez and are wondering if there are local tours available . We have looked on the internet and don't see much listed .

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
292 reviews
7. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

On Trip Advisor there is a page that may be of interest

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g2…

most people visiting Jerez will want to see a bodega or even two ! Have a tour of the premises. One of the most geared up places for this is at Gonzales Byass. Tio Pepe is the brand name that you may be familiar with.

http://www.gonzalezbyass.com/en/

midwest
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

I have traveled to the Festival for two out of the last three years and hope to go again this year. I was frustrated that I could not find any information about the shows when I was planning my trips, but it appears that the schedule for the shows comes out approximately 3 months before the festival begins, which I believe is February 24th for the 2017 Festival. Already the schedule for the classes has been released, but I anticipate that the show schedules will be out any day soon.

Solid information is hard to come by in advance, although the info for the main venues, including the Theatre Villamarta, will all be part of the official announcement. I highly recommend buying tickets in advance for shows at any of the larger venues that you would really like to see. I have found buying tickets online has also been a bit of a problem , although worth the hassle. Remember to let your credit card company know that you will be making a foreign purchase or it will not go through. You must pick up the actual tickets at the box office when you are in Jerez.

If you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them with my limited knowledge of the Festival.

Having said that, the dancers and singers yo will thrill, excite and move you beyond almost any artistic expression you will ever see. These artists are so invested and committed to their performance. It is breathtaking. It is not the tacky, amateur castanet playing performances you may see in some tourist trap, but real artists giving their all for their art.

Edited: 12 November 2016, 10:22
Dallas
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

We are also going to southern Spain and have added Jerez to this trip for the sherry tastings and horse show. In doing some research have learned that the 2017 Festival de Jerez (Flamingo festival) this year is February 24 - March 11, which I am now excited about. Here is the main web site:

www.jerez.es/webs_municipales/festival_jerez/

The above show the various course/workshops. So I can't see any performances to book. And I realized the dates, I had scheduled us to be in Jerez 22-24 (before going to on to Granada) to see the royal horse show which is ONLY on Thursdays at this time of the year. Suggestions ?

If I flip this, we will miss the horse show. Does anyone know if will there be some PRE-festival main performers going on ? We have been to both Madrid and Seville flamenco shows, so am looking for authentic.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Flamenco festival 2017

There will be plenty happening leading up to the Festival. Check out the Guarida del Angel, Tabanco el Pasaje, and the Guitarrón de San Pedro just for starters. There is no such thing as "touristy" flamenco in Jerez.

You can also visit the Real Escuela to watch the horses and riders train on Tuesdays, not the actual show but interesting nonetheless.

Get answers to your questions about Jerez De La Frontera