We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigurten cruise

Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hurtigurten cruise

We are considering a Hurtigurten cruise in early October - R/T Bergen - Kirkenes - Bergen. I know these are more ferries than cruise ships, which is fine. Are cabins and meals included in the "cruise only" price? I know early October is just past the fall equinox, so shorter days than earlier in the year. Any opinions on the weather and sea travel at that time?

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurtigurten cruise

In terms of the price I'm guessing it includes cabin and full board but excludes flights to/from Norway. But you MUST check with the advertiser for the definitive answer.

October is usually the wettest month of the year.

Sea condition is anyone's guess (as is weather) but you are more likely to encounter rough seas in October than in the summer. Having said that most of the trip is in sheltered water with only short spells of open sea - the exceptions being Stad and the far north.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurtigurten cruise

We looked into the cruise only option for summer and it included the low end basic cabin, but no meals. You can buy food from the onboard snack bar apparently, but are not allowed into the restaurants with the full paying passengers. It seemed like a lot of money for essentially transport, and we're skipping it in June.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurtigurten cruise

October is a fine month!

You will see all the colours from the autumn and maybe even snow up in the north. You can still have warm days in the south.

The weather is unpredictable. Even in June and July.

But if you have good weather in October I think you will have a superb journey.

There are fewer passengers in October. That gives you more space.

I think all the new ships are very good. They are more cruiseships then ferries.

You can go into the web pages of Hurtigruten to check out the ships.

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurtigurten cruise

Regarding ardaragirl’s comment.

I have travelled short distances on Hurtigruten as a port-to-port passenger, and as well as using the cafeteria have taken some meals in the main restaurant. It is the buffet lunches rather than the evening fixed menus which tend to tempt me there! However I have not travelled at peak months in summer when some sittings may be full.

The cafeteria however is a great place to meet local people.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,891 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurtigurten cruise

We have just returned from a trip on the Richard With. The ships are ferry size but much 'posher' more like a mini cruise ship. The whole trip was jaw dropping. The ships sail through narrow channels, past islands and for much of the time in sheltered waters.

There is no entertainment but the whole of the time we were watching the world go by. It is very relaxing.

Prices do look expensive but Norway is an expensive country and prices on board are not duty free. Incidently prices in the shop were cheaper that at Oslo duty free!

This is one of the best holidays I have had.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Trondheim
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurtigurten cruise

Nice to hear that you liked it :=)

7. Re: Hurtigurten cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 19:15