We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bouillon Castle questions

New Jersey
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Bouillon Castle questions

My mom and I are planning to visit Bouillon on a three-week Benelux trip this summer. The main thing we want to see there is the castle. We are interested in taking the torchlight tour at night, which I've been advised to book in advance, but I'm not sure where to go to do this... a link to the website to do so (preferably in English if a available) would be greatly appreciated if anyone knows it.

Also, is it free to explore the castle during the day? Or can it only be seen by a paid tour? Ideally we'd like to just explore it on our own during the day and not with a tour. Is this possible (even for a cost)?

Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,277 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Bouillon Castle questions

It isn't free to enter the castle - it used to cost €5.90, don't know whether that is still the case - but it isn't necessary to take a guided tour during the day (10:00 till 17:00 hrs). See e.g. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g230017-d3…

A "visite nocturne" can be booked for any date by groups of at least 20 people: bouillon-tourisme.be/en/page/journee_groupes… - otherwise this is available only on specific dates (3 weekends in April 2015, on ftlb.be/fr/agenda/evenement/fiche.php… - it is quite likely that the tour only operates during school holidays) and even then the tour won't go ahead unless there are sufficient people: belgique-tourisme.be/informations/…20964.html and ftlb.be/fr/agenda/evenement/fiche.php… - which says you can reserve, for dates when the tour is operating, by phoning 061/46 42 02 between 10:00 and 19:00 hrs (or according to the 2nd site, information can be obtained from Mr. Thierry Props on +32(0)475 45 41 80), or e-mailing info@bouillon-initiative.be (or according to the 2nd site, bouilloninitiative@gmail.com) - cost €10 + €2.50 for a torch (1 between 2-3 people.

You may have noted that the bouillon-initiative (local tourist office) website isn't available, I don't know what that means.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Bouillon Castle questions

The current "visite libre" (that is a visit where you just wander round yourself) cost is 7€ (6,50€ aged 65+).

The night tour with flaming torches takes place on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Saturdays in July and August at 22h00, costs 10€ each plus 2,50€ for the torch (shared) and, as Qaminari has indicated, requires advance reservation. I suspect that it may not operate if insufficient people wish to go or if the weather is unsuitable, but cannot be certain of this.

Edited: 23 April 2015, 06:03
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Bouillon Castle questions

Becasse is right about needing to book in advance for the torchlight tour and about it being dependent on weather and interest. But it's easy to communicate with the castle via email (even for non-French speakers).

The night we visited, there were enough folks for two groups, one Francophone and the other Dutch/English (which ended up being English for the benefit of us mono-lingual Americans!). The Dutch/English guide was a real comedian!

We strongly recommend taking the night tour!

Reply to: Bouillon Castle questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bouillon