We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code for North Sulawesi and Bunaken

2 posts
Save Topic
Dress Code for North Sulawesi and Bunaken

Hi everyone,

I am heading to North Sulawesi and Bunaken for a couple of weeks. I'm based in Perth and excitedly packed all my usual summer gear (bikini, short shorts, crop tops etc) before it struck me that what I wear in summer in Australia may be a bit offensive in parts of Indonesia. I can find info on places like Bali and Java but nothing specific to North Sulawesi and Bunaken. Could anyone advise me what the dress code I should adhere to in these areas should be? I would hate to cause offence.

Mentioned in this post
Bunaken Island
Bunaken Island
Manado, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
4 replies to this topic
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,119 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code for North Sulawesi and Bunaken

Lianne E, hi and welcome to Ta fourms!

Thank you for a good question and being sensitive towards people and destination of your future travel.

luckily Bunaken is nothing like Banda Aceh and shariah law is of no validity over there. You can swim and sunbathe in your usual beach attire and bikini ( please NO topless though). Here re some pictures of how tourist at bunaken look:

diversiondivetravel.com.au/images/zoom/pro03…

https:/…pulau-bunaken2.jpg

…blogspot.com/-HtHszlZGr14/…Bunaken2.jpg

…blogspot.com/-YGydnCwKcVc/…Bunaken3.jpg

Although being in the cities, airports and public places its advisable to avoid open shoulders, crop-tops, super low cut shorts and mini-dresses. In the city hotel swimming pools one-piece swimsuits are also recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Bunaken Island
Bunaken Island
Manado, Indonesia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code for North Sulawesi and Bunaken

Many thanks! :)

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,119 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code for North Sulawesi and Bunaken

You are most welcome! Happy holidays.

At my desk
Level Contributor
362 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code for North Sulawesi and Bunaken

Bunaken has a good sized local population, which is great. There's a decent sized village to wander around which has cafe-bars and little shops. We were invited to see inside the local church which is 'marine' themed- the minister delivers sermons from a boat shaped pulpit, it's really cool.

All this means you are walking around a normal Indonesian village. Everyone is extremely friendly and respectful, I'm sure you wouldn't 'get in trouble' for wearing skimpy clothes, but to be honest I think it would be really inappropriate.

Have a great time in Bunaken, it's fantastic!

Mentioned in this post
Bunaken Island
Bunaken Island
Manado, Indonesia
Reply to: Dress Code for North Sulawesi and Bunaken
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Sulawesi
;