We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things not to take when going on vacation!!

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Things not to take when going on vacation!!

I just finished reading a review and was pretty shocked! Someone left their wedding ring back at their room and of course never to be seen! Whether your in Mexico, USA, Canada etc. you leave something that valuable behind chances are you will never get it back! Don't blame your lack of responsibility on a hotel resort and give them a bad review!

First of all, never take valuables with you (rings/gold necklaces etc), unless you want to risk losing them or possibly get them stolen. I am a pretty seasoned traveller, and I know better not to take my wedding ring/band gold earings etc. I go on vacation to enjoy myself, not to worry about what may or may not get taken while I'm away from my room.

If you don't want to go on a trip without a ring on your wedding finger, go to Walmart and buy a fake one! I bought one 5 years ago and you would never know if it was fake unless I told you. I have also left the fake ring on the nightstand in rooms while I ventured out and it was always there when I came back.

Moral of the story, if you cherish it, leave it at home!

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things not to take when going on vacation!!

Correct. I never take anything I can't afford to lose.

On our last trip, I broke my titanium glasses $350 and I also dropped my wife's cell phone into the ocean when I slipped on a rock. In that case the only thing of importance was her contact list, because the phone itself was old school.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things not to take when going on vacation!!

Some time ago, there was a post on the Puerto Vallarta boards from a gal who was held up at gunpoint during a horseback riding excursion and relieved of her Rolex watch and about $50k worth of diamond jewellery.

Whilst I don't wish to downplay the trauma of this whole event, who on earth goes horseback riding dripping with $50k worth of diamonds???!!!

I agree with Trooper - leave the bling at home and if you don't want to be a target for theft (or worse), then don't draw attention to yourself and/or your wealth.

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things not to take when going on vacation!!

I wear my wedding rings just about everywhere. But I do decide to remove them for off resort excursions and I hide them in something and lock it in the safe.

I personally just don't feel right not having them on. We have been to Jamaica and Mexico and have never had issues with this... BUT if you leave them out in plain sight even a usually honest person may be tempted.

People have to remember the conditions of the countries that we are visiting and that the staff live in those conditions sometimes temptation can even over come otherwise good people. And sometimes it could be other guests that are just plain dishonest thieves.

I agree if you are really worried don't take it with you. I don't take a bag load of good jewellery.. I take pretty costume jewellery. I just can't bear to go without my wedding rings but I always exerciese caution.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things not to take when going on vacation!!

Darn, I was just packing diamond studded spurs.

The most expensive thing I take is my plain old digital camera. Not terribly expensive. AND use disposables for beach, snorkels, etc. Nobody wants my stuff.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things not to take when going on vacation!!

I never pack "scales"

6. Re: Things not to take when going on vacation!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 10:26