We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much do the workers get paid??

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
How much do the workers get paid??

Anyone know how much the workers at SERC or any of the AI-resorts get paid? They are so friendly and nice! I felt guilty a lot seeing them all bust their butts all over the resort. Even though we did tip the ones that waited on us but there were so many others working so hard. I hope they get paid well; I felt guilty enjoying myself while they were slaving away.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

Its not much...Around 8-10 Usd a day. Thats basically the wage for waitstaff, cleaning personel, etc

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

I think they work very long hours too! I know last time we were in Mexico, the entertainment staff lived at the resort and they worked sun up until after midnight! Some of the wait staff would be working bars or serving tables for breakfast and then you would see them in a different restuarant at night serving dinner. They must come in around 5 am and stay until 10 pm. I don't know how many days a week they work those type hours. They do deserve a tip if they are working hard to serve you. I know some have to share tips too in the restaurants so unless you slide in thier hand or pocket away from managment then that money gets divided. I'm sure the managers take their share too!

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

We couldn't believe how hard the people at SERC worked! We had the best service we have ever had anywhere! We did tip, but never felt like it was expected. I believe the tips were truly appreciated by the staff. I think it helped get even better service by the pools & bars - if that was possible.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

They don't make that much for sure but comparing Cancun from 1997 to 2005.....these people have definately taken several steps forward in seven years

USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

That is so sad if that's all they make! :( At least some of them get tips sometimes but what about the maintenance workers? They don't seem bitter or mad at all. I know if had to do what they do while they had to while watching 'rich' foreigners enjoying themselves I would feel bad. I wish I could take them all on a nice vacation.

Do they get to eat the food at the resort and do they get paid better than other jobs in Mexico?

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

Rule of thumb - most Mexicans work 51/2 days a week, often 12 hour days to make as much as your average unskilled US worker makes in a day.

Manual laborers make 50 pesos a day hauling dirt, cutting wood, or painting. Maids, bricklayers and the like might get 80 a day. Front of house (waiters, bartenders, etc…) might see 100 pesos and a cut of the tips. All the tips go into a pile, management takes whatever it wants out of that (at least 50%) and may or may not tip the back of house staff (cooks, dishwashers, etc…) out of that, then the front of house staff splits what’s left.

It ain’t a good living, but it's a living. Food and clothing costs are reasonable, but a new TV costs 2 weeks worth of wages, and expats have driven housing prices up to the point that most locals can't aford to live where they work.

Particularly at the fancy AI’s, I’m constantly surprised they don’t slit everyone’s throats while they sleep. Just ‘cause they’re smiling doesn’t mean they’re happy.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

Very nice thought to put on the board webkatz...slitting everyone throats? come on now, relax. I know you seem to be quite knowledgable around that area but take it down a peg or two please.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

Great, yet again somebody wants to tell me what to/how to post.

Since I've ain't never been big on asking anyone's permission, and since this is an open forum, how about you post what you want and I'll post what I want.

Dave

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

Here's an excellent website to check out wages and labor. Cancun area is in geographic area C...The minimum wage effective January 1, 2005 is 44.05 pesos per work shift...and that is an increase of 4.61% over 2004. Ever tried to do Mexico on $4 a day??? I think we all need to read this...

maquilaportal.com/public/artic/artic366e.htm

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How much do the workers get paid??

Dave,

Normally I wouldnt care, but I have to ask, how would that opinion help anyone make decisions about travel? It is obviously your opinion which you are right you have every right to express but as such a seasoned traveller such as yourself how would you think a comment like that would effect new travellers. I have to be honest if i read that before my trip, i would have been way more skeptical on our vacation...Just my two cents...