We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

colorado
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

My hubby and I will be leaving tomorrow for Mexico (yay!) and I'd like to do a day trip to Puerto Morelos. He's not really into water that much and we'll be snorkeling elsewhere (maybe Akumal or Tulum) - so what else is there to do? Or is PM better for snorkeling than the others? When he does snorkel he likes to be close to the shore, so if PM has that over the others then we might change our plans.

But....are there other things to do and see? We like to hike, shopping is just okay.

Thanks!

1. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 11:29
Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

Maybe check out the Little Mexican Cooking School. Many of my customers say it's great. After that take a hike into town and check it out. I would say the snorkeling in Puerto Morelos is much better because of the reef being so close.

CT
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

what is the water temperature like the week between Xmas and New Years? We have not been to the Riviera Maya except for February or March.

Chicago
Level Contributor
364 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

Also Cantina Habanero has Mark Mulligan playing tomorrow night @ 7:00 pm

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

I too would recommend snorkelling in Puerto Morelos. You do go out in a boat but not really far out. The reef there is very healthy best we have seen (have also been to Jamaica). Great town to poke around in. We would defininately go back. Its quaint and feels more authentic than most of the touristy places. People were freindly. There is also a book store there - the name escapes me at the moment but I think it is owned by a Canadian couple. New and used books and plenty in english from what I hear. We had intended to stop in there last year but ran out of time.

If you are going to snorkel in Akumal go in the Akumal Bay right in front of the Lol Ha restaurant there are often sea turtles there. That is the main attraction in the bay not a reef . But it is really cool we have done it twice. If you don't have your own snorkel gear you can rent it at the dive shop right next to the Lol Ha, they have lockers to store your stuff as well.

Have a great trip.

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
799 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

Thanks for the mention, we are Alma Libre Bookstore, we're right on the square on the south side. We just opened for the season yesterday!

Bienvenidos!

Rob

alma libre bookstore

Puerto Morelos

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

Rob - no worries. We really wanted to get there last time.

Maybe this trip. Although we were not planning on going to PM you never know.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
585 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

1) Almost Heaven Dive for snorkeling..just went in Sept and it was THE BEST!

2) Cantina Habanero for fish tacos and the coldest beer in Mexico!

3) The Little Mexican Cooking School

Stewartsville, New...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

There are 2 things you MUST do

1. Snorkeling - the DIVING DOG tour is GREAT!

2. Lunch at Cantina Habenro - have the pizza!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Puerto Morelos - what to do?

There is an artist & craftsman collective in Puerto morelos with good buys on Mayan textiles,carvings, jewelry etc...