We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Federal Pier near Palma Real

Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Federal Pier near Palma Real

Hi, does anyone have any photos of this pier?

How far is it from the complex? I've heard next door, and a quarter mile away.

Ships come in one day a week, with some noise. All day, a couple hours?

Do they create a large wake, unsafe for swimming?

I understand you cannot walk to town square via the beach because of this pier. A big negative, but a deal breaker?

I spend a lot of time on the beach when we vacation so just trying to get a clearer idea so I can make an informed decision. Thanks!

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

The pier intersects the beach 950 feet from Palma Real. I don't think there's sound very often and it's only in the daytime. However if you're walking to town, the detour can be a deal breaker, especially in summer, when the inland road is hot. The beach in front of Palma Real itself is not too bad (perhaps a few rocks and always some seagrass). It town, the beach and water are somewhat better.

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

I feel like I have searched everywhere, and have come up with no photos of this pier. I've seen the aerial, and the pier comes out from the land, then juts out pretty far to the south, almost right in front of Palma Real it looks like.

We're going in February, so that walk into town wouldn't be as bad as it would be now. However, I'd rather walk the beach. It's why I'm planning the trip there in the first place. However, the condos at Palma Real look so nice! Thought maybe I could shrug these details off but I'm leaning towards not.

Corner Brook, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

I also had a hard time finding pictures but think I may have seen some on some youtube video of the complex. One of the front facing units has pictures from their front deck. We are actually booked to stay in this complex next May. I love the look of the complex and having the pool and ocean next to each other is a bonus. We will probably spend most of our time at the condo as we will be ending a 3 week visit to the area and are looking for some downtime. We do plan to walk to town at least once daily and dont think the walk will be a problem. We walked miles this year daily around Playa and Isla Mujeres so a 10 minute walk should not be a problem. I also was hesitant at first because of the location but the more I looked into the condo the more comfortable I became with the location.

Good luck with your trip planning. For me it is a big part of my vacation experience and I love the planning stage of our trip.

Lori

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

Thanks, lgsummer, I will try Youtube. That's a great idea!

The more I think about it, the more I want to walk the beach into town. I'm all about the beach. I will walk a further distance if it means I can walk the beach and feel the breezes.

Which unit did you rent at Palma? You can PM me if you want.

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

I did go out to Youtube and I found an excellent video that shows some great shots of the pier. I will not post the link as I am not sure whether that would be okay or not.

I had pictured the pier being full of those colored shipping containers and that was not the case. There was a ship docked there and that was about it.

Thanks for suggesting I take a look out there!

Mn
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

We stay at the Caribbean Reef Villa just down the beach from Palma Real and found that the dock not to be a problem with noise. You can hear the crane diesel when they are loading and unloading but it is faint from where we were.

I agree that walking the road is not fun when it is warm and I would never walk it at night due to the car/bus traffic, it is a dark road and drivers may not see you.

If you want to walk the beach I would think you would have to stay on the other side of town. Lots of condos on the beach.

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

Thanks, rickydr. I am not concerned about the noise either, chances are we may not even be around when it is going on :-)

The beach area to the north, where the buildings are for the shipping pier, do not look very pleasing but I think I can get past that too.

We are considering some places north of town square also. Just trying to make an informed decision. Don't want to rule a place out if the negative really isn't that big a deal.

The condos look so nice. Still unsure about that walk on the road. It's only a few dollars for a cab. Does anyone know whether that's the fare per person or per cab? I am so on the fence... Someone just push me. LOL

Mn
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

Per cab, last I paid was 4 US and 1 US tip.

Consider renting a car for the week if you are staying in a condo.

I did this the last time we were there and the driving was not bad at all.

With a car you can go to PDC and food or take side trips without a tour guide so you are on your own timetable.

I am coming down again in Sept and was going to visit some condos to see what other places to stay. Palma Real was one of the places to stay as it looked really nice from the pictures on www.vrbo.com

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

We had a car last year and enjoyed having it. However, we didn't think it would be necessary here as we could take the collectivo or short cab rides. We haven't ruled that option out though. Thanks for the info on the cabs. We saw Palma on that same website and also some others.

Montana
Level Contributor
320 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Federal Pier near Palma Real

When my husband and I went to PM last fall, we were quite torn between Palma Real and Casita Blanca for condo rental. The Palma units look so luxurious and high end, but we decided we were more interested in the beach than in the unit itself, since we would probably be spending such a limited amount of time in it. We rented at Casita, but walked over to Palma to see what we had decided against. The complex was attractive, and if you enjoy lounging by the pool and not so much in the ocean, this is a nice spot. It seemed to be a much quieter section of beach without as much traffic, but they don't seem to groom the beach here as much, so there was more seaweed washed up on shore. I believe it was a Sunday when we walked over, so there wasn't much car/bus traffic at all, and the pier itself seemed to be closed and deserted, so I can't vouch for noise levels. I can imagine it can be a warm walk when you don't have the ocean breeze, but it was November, so that was kind of a moot point. You'll have a great time no matter where you stay!