We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

my sister in law is getting married at dreams riviera in early feb.

my husband and i first booked to stay there so we could see the whole family easily. he's english and we live in the states - so excited to see all my english in laws. but upon reading reviews (crowded, noisy, lots of kids, many unsupervised, no truly adults-only pool), it's really not the place for us. my husband and i have no children and stressful jobs. we were looking forward to a quiet and romantic getaway for the wedding while seeing family. i realize now we should stay at an adults only all inclusive and arrange to see family at specific times. (our family doesn't have young kids, but the brides bridesmaids do so she planned around them)

my question is this: if we stay at excellence (next door) or secrets silversands (same parent company, 10mi away i think?) how easy is it to see the family? can we all meet easily on the beach? daypasses seem like they would get expensive? or do secrets/dreams allow for going back and forth?

any help would be much appreciated. i hate to be a jerk but we get away so rarely and need the escape so much. we want to see our family but won't enjoy it if our nerves are frayed beyond all reason.

thank you in advance!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

Excellence would be most convenient but the only place you can meet up will be at beach and outside of the resort, unless you pay for passes, which indeed will get expensive.

Staying at Secrets does not give you open access to Dreams. You can prearrange to have dinner there but I am not certain if this is only one time during your stay.

Perhaps spend two nights at Dreams (night before and night of) and then move to the adult only property? That may be a good compromise.

Milford Michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

Kristie, The Dreams & Secrets resorts are so nice, I do not see you having an issue with children getting on your nerves. If the Excellence is next door, yes, you can meet up on the beach, as all beaches in Mexico are public beaches. As far as I am aware, yes, you would need to purchase a day pass to visit the Dreams Riviera, and yes, it can get costly.

It would be so much nicer for you to stay at the Dreams. Being that you are traveling in early February, I do not see where tons of little children would be an issue. Now, if you were traveling during the Easter holiday, that is completely different story.

We have been traveling to Mexico and the Caribbean, since 1989, and we have only encountered a problem with children twice, and that was when we vacationed at the end of the Easter holiday. A few days after Easter, the families with children pack up to return home, and, the resorts got back to "normal".

I think it would be a shame for you to change your plans to stay at the Dreams. We have stayed at the NOW Jade, Dreams Puerto Aventuras and the Secrets Capri, all owned by the same corporation, and all run about the same way. I have become quite spoiled by them!!! The employees are incredible............they treat you like gold and the service is fantastic. I have never seen employees work so hard.

I think most people would agree that keeping your reservations at the Dreams, would not be a mistake. Trying to meet up with your relatives, to me, would be more of a headache ( and more costly), than a few children running around......and, in my travels, I have never seen kids running amuck, without any supervision.

Realize, that some people just feel the need to complain about everything!!

lol

Go to Dreams, have a wonderful time with your family, and, please share your experience when you return!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

<Realize, that some people just feel the need to complain about everything!!>

Realize that some people simply prefer to vacation without children.

We have not stayed at Dreams Riviera Cancun but I have spent time there on more than one occasion, including dinner. We had a an infant that screamed throughout our 8pm dinner at the Italian restaurant and younger children whose parents allowed them to run around the restaurant as they pleased. This was not during a school holiday.

Unlike the above poster, we have often experienced loud and unsupervised children while staying at family resorts. For this reason, we prefer to book adults only or at the least, a resort with adult only facilities.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

<Realize, that some people just feel the need to complain about everything!!>

Realize that some people simply prefer to vacation without children.

(couldnt agree more Caviargal!)

I think the option of staying 2 nights at DRC and then moving to the adults only property of your choice is a great compromise. If your husband is on board with that you can get the best of both worlds. 2 days with the family and then a few alone for rest and relaxation. Day passes are not cheap!

dorset
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

bear in mind that AO does not always equate to quiet & romantic.

I have been to both DRC & SSS in August, and if im honest DRC was probably the quieter overall. I dont see that there would be a major problem with children in February.

Both are absolutely beautiful resorts with SSS being my all round favourite. Food & service are of a very high standard at both, and SSS has a fantastic choice of bars and 8 pools!

The beach is nicer at DRC.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

oh and for what its worth, there are many loud adults that could do with supervising that are more than capable of spoiling a holiday.

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
575 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

I have never been to either but have stayed at many all inclusives and yes it usually the adults who get drunk and cause the most disturbaces. We were at Barcelo Palace last year and my son (8 years old) asked what was wrong with the old man. He was so plastered he had passed out at the edge of the pool and had urinated on himself. My kids are toilet trained!

Visiting other resorts is not ideal as I assue you will pay dearly for day passes. I agree with texas123 stay a few nights with the wedding party and then go elsewhere but I think you will be sorry you switched

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

Whilst you can easily meet up at the beach (and I think staying next door to Dreams at ERC is definitely the best idea as Secrets Silversands is a bit of a hike away), bear in mind that if you're not a guest of Dreams resort (or on a day pass), you should NOT be using their loungers or palapas.

I know some people are going to say "who cares" and "what's the difference" but if loungers/palapas are at a premium (which they may well be in early February) and I were a Dreams guest who couldn't find a lounger/palapa because it was being used by a non-guest, I'd be pretty ticked about it. Obviously, it would be equally inappropriate for those of the wedding party staying at Dreams to use ERC amenities too.

I'm VERY pro adult-only resorts and totally understand where you're coming from on that score. Unlike Debadeb (post #2) who's only had issues with kids twice, pretty much EVERY resort I've been to that allows children has had a few kids running amok. Yes, I've seen some bad behaviour from inebriated adults too but haven't ever witnessed them playing "tag" around the tables at a "nice" a la carte restaurant or racing around the buffet like wild animals.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 10:41
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

In my opinion, ERC is superior to Secrets Silversands (and closer), and significantly superior to Dreams.

Mark

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sister getting married at Dreams Riviera - where to stay?

If you're not staying at the wedding property, you must (technically) purchase a day pass for each time you visit...rehearsal dinner night, then again next day for wedding. It's stupidly expensive, plus the bridal party will need to prearrange to get your name on a list at the guard gate. In addition, the bride must pay a ridiculous amount for you to attend the wedding reception & meal IN ADDITION TO THE DAY PASS for the wedding day!

This really takes the romantic element out of a destination wedding. Fleece the wedding party, fleece the guests, all in the name of love.

I can hear the cash register ring as the resort pushes the WEDDING button. Cha ching.