We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to elope in Big Sur?

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Where to elope in Big Sur?

Hello! My fiancee and I are looking for a location to elope in Big Sur. We are open to anywhere in Big Sur as long as it's semi-private and reasonably priced. It will only be the two of us. It will also be on on a Monday so we are hoping to beat some of the crowds.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Edited: 10 April 2018, 16:38
12 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

Do you mean a location where you can have your nuptial ceremony? Do you have an officiant?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,292 posts
122 reviews
2. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

Since you mentioned price, I am thinking that you'd like an actual venue as opposed to getting married on a beach, in the woods, or on a bluff overlooking the ocean, right? In that case, I'd call up some restaurants and see what they can do - with only the 2 of you and your officiant, you won't need much space. Nepenthe, Rocky Point Restaurant, and Lucia Lodge all have outdoor areas with fabulous views. Big Sur River Inn has a nice grassy area on the banks of the river. They can probably recommend a local officiant if you don't have one already.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

I don't think anything is going to be "reasonably priced" in Big Sur. Being on a Monday may help a little with scheduling though. You may be able to catch a break if you don't need a view of the coast or don't need to be near the coast. If you don't mind the ceremony being in a different places than the reception then you could get married at one of the state parks, including on some of the beach areas like at Garrapata. You can't just show up though - you need a permit - so you'll have contact the state parks office to arrange it. Here's the info for Pfeiffer-Big Sur, which has no beach or views, but it'll give you an idea of the costs and considerations, and some contacts that can steer you to Garrapata, which does have a beach. https:/…20Packet.pdf

Loma Vista is popular for weddings. https://www.lomavistainn.com/

The Henry Miller Library also does weddings and has a nice space, but no view.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
4. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

Yes! Looking for a location for the ceremony. No officiant yet but we are working on that.

5. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2018, 23:05

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,933 posts
79 reviews
6. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

Sofanya, the TA Forums don't allow self-promotion or advertising, so your post (and any other similar postings) may be removed shortly.

Extreme Northern...
Level Contributor
618 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

You will need a witness as well as an officiant. If you can't supply one, let the officiant know that you'll need one as part of their services.

Long Beach...
2 posts
8. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

My fiancé and I are looking for the same thing. I know you can do it at some of the state parks along the coast, you just need a permit. I've been looking for places and it's been a little confusing. I know you can at Julia Pfeiffer Burns but the spot is closed right now.

Long Beach...
2 posts
9. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

My fiancé and I are looking for the same thing. I know you can do it at some of the state parks along the coast, you just need a permit. I've been looking for places and it's been a little confusing. I know you can at Julia Pfeiffer Burns but the spot is closed right now.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
10. Re: Where to elope in Big Sur?

I have the same question, except that we will be with our dog, which has made it more challenging to find a private and intimate spot cliffside over looking the ocean.

Reply to: Where to elope in Big Sur?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted