We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pismo Beach to Big Sur

La Crosse, Wisconsin
3 posts
1 review
Pismo Beach to Big Sur

Hi, I am planning on doing a road trip up the PCH at the end of October. We will leave Pismo Beach Friday morning, explore Big Sur & head to Monterey later that evening. Does Highway 1 follow the coast from Pismo Beach to the Big Sur? it looks like Mapquest is taking me inland to the 101.

7 replies to this topic
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Pismo Beach to Big Sur

Yes, highway 1 is the route. Stay on it the entire way from San Luis Obispo. Do not take 101 as it goes inland.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,186 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Pismo Beach to Big Sur

From Pismo Beach, you'll take Hwy 101 to San Luis Obispo, and then cut over to Hwy 1.

Sunset at the end of the month is right around 6pm, so make sure you watch your time closely so that you are in Monterey before dark. You don't want to be driving through Big Sur in the dark - it's a bit sketchy in the dark if you've never driven it, and you'd miss the views anyway.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20,043 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Pismo Beach to Big Sur

Highway 1 overlaps with 101 at Pismo Beach. It does go inland a little bit (about 10 miles) to San Luis Obispo. That's where they split again. 101 continues inland, Highway 1 goes towards the coast at Morro Bay. From there it hugs along the coast all the way through Big Sur to Carmel.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
3 posts
1 review
4. Re: Pismo Beach to Big Sur

awesome, Thank you! Do you have an estimated travel time from Pismo Beach to the Big Sur?

4 posts
5. Re: Pismo Beach to Big Sur

I took me about 6 hrs, it was beautiful

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,105 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Pismo Beach to Big Sur

Pismo to the start of the Big Sur drive takes about 1.15 to 1.5 hours to reach.

The Big Sur drive itself takes about 2.5 to 3 hours without stops.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,584 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: Pismo Beach to Big Sur

Map programs take you the fastest route, not the most scenic. You can usually force the route by dragging the markers or selecting a series of waypoints on your desired route.

Reply to: Pismo Beach to Big Sur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted