We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help please

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
250 posts
2 reviews
Hotel help please

Hi, we are going to do a road trip and would like to stay in Big Sur for a night in January, 11th to 12th. Are there any hotels? All the places I have seen whilst searching are camping grounds with cabin like accommodation or resorts that are outrageously priced. I usually like a four or five star hotel and I am not a camper anymore. I am willing to sacrifice for one night if I have to stay in a cabin. My biggest concern is it will be winter and I am worried how cold and damp the cabins will be?

Some advice regarding accommodation in Big Sur would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,180 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Hotel help please

Hi

Where are you staying on the night of the 10th and on the night of the 12th?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,256 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Hotel help please

Many stay at the two different ends of the big Sur Carmel or Cambria / san Simeon. Some stay in the few hotels around big Sur village and that is where you are seeing those cabins or resorts

Big Sur village is about an hour from Carmel. Suggest you stay there if you are looking for 4 stars and not cabins.

Big Sur river inn is one place again more of a motel style

Edited: 08 October 2018, 08:40
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,101 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Hotel help please

The only options that meet your demands are Post Ranch Inn and Ventana Inn along with a few rooms at Glen Oaks.

Big Sur is not a developed area, so lodging is sparse and mostly rustic.

Most visitors stay in the Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove area and day trip into Big Sur. It's around a one hour drive down to the "village" area of Big Sur.

Edited: 08 October 2018, 09:10
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Hotel help please

On the 90 miles of coast between San Simeon and Carmel, the region known as Big Sur, there are fewer than 300 hotel rooms. What you see is what you get because of supply and demand. The places to stay are either extraordinary expensive or really rustic, with almost nothing in between. As noted above, check out the River Inn or Big Sur Lodge, but lower your expectations; they’re still expensive for what you’re getting.

As also noted above, Monterey, which is an hour north of the “village” section of Big Sur, has a much larger variety and quantity of hotels, but of course then you wouldn’t be stsy8ng in Big Sur.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Hotel help please

And if you require a 4 or 5 star accommodation, Ventana is the cheapest. The rooms still start at $765 on those nights. The Post Ranch is $1450. It’s one of the finest hotels in the world, but I realize that may be out of your budget. For 4 or 5 star hotels that are more reasonably priced, you need to look outside of Big Sur at Carmel or Monterey.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
250 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Hotel help please

@ PacificNWFamily we are staying in Cambria and SF so maybe Carmel would be better for us inbetween.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,226 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Hotel help please

I have stayed at the Big Sur Lodge cabins with a fireplace. Very cozy and comfy and not damp and cold. It's $249 for your dates so not sure if too expensive. It's good value IMO. Right in the middle of the forest and Big Sur. But Carmel will have more options.

https:/…

Edited: 09 October 2018, 06:28
Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
1 review
8. Re: Hotel help please

I would stay in Pacific Grove, Carmel or Monterey.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,184 posts
120 reviews
9. Re: Hotel help please

I agree - staying on the Monterey Peninsula is a good option.

If you want to stay in Big Sur (I love spending time down there) Big Sur Lodge and Big Sur River Inn will both suit what you are looking for. Both have nice rooms and aren't damp at all. Glen Oaks might work too, but I haven't stayed there myself, so can't make a personal recommendation.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,559 posts
79 reviews
10. Re: Hotel help please

I've stayed at Glen Oaks and it's pretty nice -- not super-rustic at all. A lot of the reviews as of a couple of years ago talked about easily-heard noise from other rooms, but I had an end room and didn't have that problem.

Reply to: Hotel help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted