We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon road trip from Big Sur to Portland/Seattle?

Sandusky, Ohio
1 post
Honeymoon road trip from Big Sur to Portland/Seattle?

My husband and I will have roughly 10 days for this trip in March. We'd like to spend a day or 2 in Big Sur, possibly kayak. However, we would most likey flying in from cleveland, OH and will need some sort of guide/rental company. The rest is up in the air. We hopefully we can spend some quality time in Napa Valley, San Fransico (maybe), Portland and with friends in Seattle. Is this too ambitous? If so where should we cut it down to make it do-able? And any suggestions for adventurous newlyweds would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Honeymoon road trip from Big Sur to Portland/Seattle?

About 10 years ago, we took a two week trip. 4 days in Portland visiting family, then drove to Redwood Forest (one of my best memories ever!) We stayed in Crescent one night the day in the park and Eureka the next, down to Big Sur (where we had a cool cabin) and then back up for 3 nights in San Francisco. Seattle is just a couple of hours North of Portland and you can even take Amtrak if you're tired of driving.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,642 posts
1,112 reviews
2. Re: Honeymoon road trip from Big Sur to Portland/Seattle?

Your trip is too ambitious, theycallmemagoo.

If you're figuring roughly 2 days in Big Sur, 2 in Napa Valley, 2 in SF ... that will leave you with only 4 days to drive to both Portland and Seattle, and no time to see anything much at all.

I'd suggest you concentrate your time around SF, both north and south to make a much more relaxing time, especially if you like outdoor sports and/or hiking. Perhaps visit the redwoods along the northern CA coast.

If you really, really want to see your friends in Seattle, and drive there instead of flying from SF, I think you'll have to cut something out from the rest of your trip.

Post #1 is describing a trip that covered fewer places and miles. Portland to Seattle is about 3-4 hours, and Seattle traffic is horrendous.

3. Re: Honeymoon road trip from Big Sur to Portland/Seattle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 00:17