We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Week Australia Itinerary?

Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
2 Week Australia Itinerary?

Just booked flights for the family to Melbourne on March 5-19. Can you suggest some places to visit and things to do in Melbourne? Also, what is usually the weather in Melbourne during that time? Is it possible to sneak in a few days in Sydney? What is the best mode of transportation to go to Sydney?

11 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

You could certainly fly to Sydney for a couple of days.

Melbourne Weather , they can have 4 seasons in one day. That Said it is normally quite nice that time of year

I will leave the things to do to others.

Good Luck

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

Hi, I'll leave Melbourne recommendations to the local experts but it will help if you give us some ideas about your interests, budget and expectations. Do you want to shop, eat, hold a koala, see natural sights or City lights?

March is autumn so the weather will be nice. Could be a little cool in the evening.

With 14 days, you can definitely do Sydney as well. Once again, it depends on what you want to see/do. 5 days will probably cover most things. Fly between Melbourne and Sydney is the most effective way.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,126 posts
2,007 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

What are your interests ?? Have a read through the FAQ's located on your right hand side of the screen, they are full of helpful information. Yes you will have time to visit Sydney if you fly .

www.qantas.com.au www.virginblue.com.au. www.jetstar.com.au for domestic flights

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

There’s plenty to do in Melbourne depending on what you like to do, it’s a city of approx 5 million people. You could visit the Great Ocean Road, The Grampians, the Queen Victoria Markets, Southbank South Wharf, St Kilda, Phillip Island, the Aquarium, Healesville Sanctuary, Mornington Peninsula, Ballarat and Sovereign Hill, Echuca, Fitzroy, Carlton and Treasury Gardens to name a very very few.

The best way to get to Sydney is to fly. If you drive, you need 5 nights.

But all this may be irrelevant and I’ve wasted your time and mine because you haven’t said what your interests are!what you want to see or indeed why you spent all that money on airfares choosing to go to Melbourne, if you will rent a car, do you like museums, galleries, road trips, what types of attractions and activities do you like so it’s a bit difficult to go any further.

Have a think about it and give us a proper idea of what you want to do and we can help further.

All the best.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

Your interests (we can guess) ?

Sydney is easy to fly to with 100+ flights a day.

Will you hire a car for say a drive on Great Ocean Road (or a day tour) ?

melbourne
Level Contributor
3,299 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

Plenty of ideas about things to do in and around Melbourne can be found here https://www.visitmelbourne.com/

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,033 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

Your question reads like you maybe got a good price for flights to Melbourne but you don't know anything about Melbourne not even the climate and you really want to go to Sydney?

There are so many ideas, in Melbourne city, near Melbourne if you can rent a car, near Melbourne by bus tour, near Melbourne by train. Same for Sydney, so many ideas. There are too many ideas to list. We need you to be willing to guide the process of planning your trip. We can help, we enjoy helping, but we cannot do anything with what you have given us so far.

Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

Thank you!

Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, parents wanted to go to Australia and I got a notification that flight prices to Melbourne are discounted today so I did not think twice and booked it, only to find out Sydney is an 11 hour train ride from Melbourne. I know, not my best moment haha

As for our interests, sceneries, nature, I’m not sure if it’ll matter but my parents have some trouble climbing and not too keen on super long walks.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?

OK so will you hire a car and did anything on our lists appeal to you? It would be useful for us to understand why it is your parents want to go to Australia, what is it that interests them about Australia, what have they heard etc.

Also, do not consider the train to Sydney. Either drive over 5 or more nights or fly.

All the best.

Edited: 16 July 2018, 07:00
Reply to: 2 Week Australia Itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted