We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations

Waipahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Accomodations

I need help fast our trip is in December. 6 adults, 3 children (2, 8, 10 years) will be traveling to Sydney and spending 3 days there till our ship departs the Passenger Terminal for New Zealand. I have not booked a place to stay and have searched ‘The Rocks’ and ‘Circular Quay’ but rooms are sold out or not within hour price range of $250 or less. Any suggestions on other areas to search that have easy access to public transport to visit the major sites since we are traveling with 4 older adults who may not tolerate walking long distances. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

14 replies to this topic
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Accomodations

When in December?

I am hoping not around New Years Eve, because that explains pricing and sold out - but if that is the case you are going to have a very difficult time and may have to look to stay out of the city.

How many rooms do you need in total?

Would you consider an apartment style though it might be difficult to find one for that many people?

What is your total nightly budget and how many rooms do you need, in what configuration eg twin beds or can they be doubles, etc.

Have you looked at airBNB and homestay options?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,891 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Accomodations

I think you’re being pretty optimistic with a budget of $250/night in prime real accommodation zone for that many people.

That you’re finding many booked out suggests you’re coming in peak period, too.

It would help us help you if you tell us your dates and what time the ship sails. The latter will help us recommend appropriate transport, if you stay a little away from Circular Quay/The Rocks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,328 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Accomodations

I agree with both MixedNut and Bokhara.

You will not find a commercial property in the CBD that will fit 9pax in one room, and at a guess, you won't find accommodation for under AUD$500 per night to accommodate your travelling party in December.

I feel your only options are to increase the budget substantially, or stay in a rental out in the suburbs.

Waipahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Accomodations

Looking for 4 nights, Dec 7-11. Air bnb locations in Circular Quay and The Rocks are booked. Needed 3 rooms. What’s another area I can search for accomodations close to public transport. Looking at no more than $225 per night per room or no more than $650 per night for a property.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 00:02
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,891 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Accomodations

You may find this map useful

https:/…1020px-Sydney_central_regions.png

melbourne
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Accomodations

Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world

https:/…

traveller.com.au/worlds-most-expensive-citie…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: Accomodations

Regarding, "another area I can search for accommodations close to public transport", 808mommi, just about anywhere might work to be honest - for example, Circular Quay has bus and ferry lines plus train, so to get there you really are spoiled for choice. If you know what you want to do while you're in Sydney, i.e. define "the major sites", it might help, e.g. getting to Taronga Park is easy by ferry or bus (https:/…getting-here) and you can walk downhill and take their cable car uphill.

When in Sydney, we have for example stayed in apartments behind Luna Park in Milson's Point, walking downhill to the ferry on occasions or taking the train over the bridge at other times. We've also stayed in North Sydney on Blues Point Road, walking downhill to the ferry each morning and downhill from the train each evening. You could take a look at inner suburbs to the west too, e.g. I've stayed on Glebe Point Road in Glebe, coming into the city on the light rail (tram).

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
93 reviews
8. Re: Accomodations

I'm just wondering how you are planning to fit all these people into just 3 rooms. :) Do each of the 3 rooms get a child each as a surprise? Have you checked if you need to pay extra for a rollaway bed?

For what you are wanting to achieve aka not much walking for the older folks, you really do want to be in the heart of everything, but that costs money.

Have you tried Sydney CBD? Have a look on Wotif for options there. It is a downhill walk to The Rocks & Circular Quay but you can catch a train back up. Another option to consider would be Darling Harbor but that might be a bit of an inconvenient place to be.

Other places that you could consider are all going to be a major compromise on location and mean public transport and more walking. It sounds like that is going to be a deal breaker for you.

If the location were not a deal breaker, I would consider Meriton North Sydney. It is just across the bridge and close to a train station. It will add about 20-30 minutes either end eg walking to the train station, waiting for the train, catching the train, getting off the train and walking to where you want to go etc. And don't forget to take into account the train fares this is going to cost, which for 9 people might be expensive. By the time you add up the time and money.. it isn't really worth it.

It might be worth upping your budget to be where you really want to be. :)

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,777 posts
170 reviews
9. Re: Accomodations

Agree with post 8. Bite the bullet and pay what you have to, to stay in the city. Otherwise you will be wasting too much time getting to and from the attractions and spend money on public transport, which negates the savings on accommodation.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,328 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: Accomodations

>>>Looking at no more than $225 per night per room or no more than $650 per night for a property<<<

I also agree with the others.

Unfortunately your dates cover the first of the last two weekends of December before the rates drop. At the above mentioned budget range, it won’t even be enough for the cheapest accomodation in the more unenviable/awkward locations around the city (at hotels that locals would rarely if ever recommend). It’s either that or out in the suburbs, possibly at questionable properties.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 02:24
Reply to: Accomodations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted