We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian and New Zealand sim

Birmingham
Level Contributor
95 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Australian and New Zealand sim

My daughter arrives in Australia on Tuesday for 3 weeks then onto New Zealand for another three. She arrives in Cairns airport. What is the best sim for her to buy? All she needs it for is to send texts home to UK and possibly the odd internal call. Thanks

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian and New Zealand sim

if she is travelling outside capital cities and wishes to maintain contact at all times then Telstra would be my choice as it does have the widest coverage (footprint).

If she is only in captial cities or major towns then Vodaphone or Optus are fine... best idea is to head to a phone store when she arrives in Cairns and talk to the staff.. they are very much used to tourists buying cards and would be able to advise her the best option for her financially-speaking.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
95 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian and New Zealand sim

Thanks TW, do Telestra also cover NZ?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian and New Zealand sim

Yeah, I was wondering about that too and wondered if I should mention to you that you should check it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g255104-i125-New_Z…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian and New Zealand sim

Another vote for Telstra - gives you the best coverage. My hubby has Optus & I have Telstra. ... we are always using my phone for coverage.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian and New Zealand sim

>>>Thanks TW, do Telestra also cover NZ?<<<

Australia and NZ have independent phone networks. Although there is some ownership in common, for all intents and purposes they are different.

She should buy a new SIM when she arrives in NZ. The AU SIM will be no different to her UK one in NZ.

if she is just travelling through major centres using the phone for SMS and calls (not data) then you won't find much difference between the carriers.

Otherwise, Telstra has far better data speeds, and better coverage outside of the major centres.

If you're bringing an unlocked phone, always check the frequencies the phone operates on before deciding on a phone company. Although Telstra has a wider range of coverage in bush, much of it is on 850Mhz UMTS, and if she is putting the SIM in a phone that doesn't support this frequency, then she may as well just buy the cheapest deal she can find.

6. Re: Australian and New Zealand sim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2013, 05:28