We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Adelaide to Darwin

New Zealand
2 posts
Save Topic
Road trip from Adelaide to Darwin

Hi,

I am thinking about renting a 2WD basic campervan (going by myself) and driving from Adelaide to Darwin in May 2013 over about 18 days. One of my interests is astrophotography which I would like to try in the Outback, which means pulling up somewhere overnight away from lights. Would this be practical in a campervan where rules usually state I must stay in the bitumen? Presumably there are rest areas along the route where I could park overnight - or would this be considered a no-no? Are sealed side roads rare?

One more question: in May, is there a need to pre-book powered sites or camps on the Adelaide to Darwin route? Such as with Uluru or Alice Springs? Or, is it possible to 'play by ear' and find somewhere on the day of arrival?

Thank you for any help.

Andy

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,474 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Darwin

One spot you could stop off for astrophotography is the Devils Marbles. There is a basic campsite there but easy to get away from light pollution. Check out this website.

…nt.gov.au/parks/….UUMJYPoazCQ

May is the shoulder season so you should be ok to wing it for campsites, except maybe for Uluru.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,663 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Darwin

Have you researched to see if you could get a one-way rental for such a trip?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Darwin

May is generally not busy, unless there is a really cold spell down south and the grey nomads start early! There are quite a few sites by the road where you can pull off safely and camp but do not use any marked as truck rest areas. Once you get away from the city lights the brightness of the stars is amazing. Get the book Camps Australia Wide, it has maps and shows all the free resting and camping sites and the cheaper parks also to stop at. Most of these stops do not have any facilities, some do have a long drop toilet.

There are very few sealed roads apart from the highway, the road to Woomera...you may as well pay a visit to their museum, it is sealed to Roxby Downs, the Lasseter Highway, Plenty Highway first section Road to Warrego, Barkley Highway and Carpenteria Highway, road to Daly Waters then a few more once you get closer to Katherine.

Some of the gravel roads are generally in good condition but there may net be any suitable camping areas there. The Island Lagoon Lookout past Pimba is on the top of a rise and it gives a good view over the flat landscape.

New Zealand
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Darwin

Many thanks for the informative replies.

After much research, I decided on a shorter trip based from Alice Springs (saving time and money). Adelaide and Darwin for another time.

Yes it is possible to get one-way rentals although there is usually an extra charge.

Have ordered a copy of the Camps book.

Got everything booked, whew. Should be good.

5. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Darwin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 01:19