We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short work trip from USA - Want to go Skiing (Early Sept)

Toledo, Ohio
8 posts
Short work trip from USA - Want to go Skiing (Early Sept)

I'm a early 40's guy that Spends about 10 or so days a year on the snow domestic (3 trips typically), skied one day in the Alps about a decade ago (want to get back there). I own my own ski gear but wouldn't fly any of it there (except maybe my boots). My preferred resort stateside (that's near me) is 1500' Vertical drop, I would like to see the Scenery and have access to varied terrain. Punisher looks neat and sprawling (littered with T-Bars but I'm on skis) but for a short trip to a resort I may never get back to I don't think I want to learn my way around the resort unless there are on the snow accomodations that fit my needs (which sounds limited), looks to me like Thredbo is the target for me, is the scenery magnitudes better at Punisher or is there another resort I should consider?

I have a business trip coming up to Brisbane in Early September, After 25 hours of travel form Ohio I figure a bus trip (won't self drive due to risk of fatigue) to go Skiing for a few days might work well to allow me to show up at Work in Brisbane late Monday or Tuesday morning. Because of this aspect I expect my Int'l flight will arrive at Sydney on a Thursday morning, and I can lockup my work bag at Sydney and depart from there that evening to ski Friday - Sunday. Then Either late Sunday or Monday grab a flight to Brisbane. On our domestic ski trips often the last day we cut short to get back at a reasonable hour, I doubt I will find a 2.5 day trip but if there is one that would be perfect.

So I see plenty of ski trip options, and Being low 40's My routine when domestic is ski during the day and soak the old muscles in the hot tub for a bit in the evening maybe take in some light nightlife as part of the foreign experience. Does anyone know of packaged trips including on the snow accomodations with access to a hot tub?

I expect I may be the old guy on the trip and that's fine with me, traveling solo and integrating with others is part of the experience, I just don't want to get wrapped up in a trip where the resort and trip is heavily situated for beginners. I don't crave moguls or the steepest runs but do like having access to the harder stuff to really make the legs work taking a green or three to get to the area I need on the mountain is fine.

So anyone have recommendation's for tour operators or packages that would check most of these boxes? The resort is always top priority, next is access to a hot tub & overall accommodation layout / condition. Sharing the lodging with a stranger is fine I can make do with about anything I'll be sorely jet lagged anyway.

24 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
134 reviews
21. Re: Short work trip from USA - Want to go Skiing (Early Sept)

Eeuuuwwww Fosters, I thought that stuff was gone a long time ago until I saw it all over the place in the UK recently. Seriously, it does our reputation no good.

If money is no object, you could fly Rex to Cooma and get a shuttle to Thredbo. That would be way quicker than a bus all the way. Anything involving skiing here costs a bomb, so keep that in mind when weighing up if it’s worth it. I know people say our skiing is terrible, but I ski Japan/US and still love coming home to Perisher. Yes, it’s not steep and deep, yes the terrain is limited, but if you’re happy to cruise about for a few days, it’s fine. My French niece loves skiing here - she thinks all those conifers in France are just so boring and loves the snow gums.

It is unique here, but it’s also a long way from Sydney, when the conditions are likely to be less than optimal, so think carefully about that. And organise your work trip for mid August next time....

Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,481 posts
2 reviews
22. Re: Short work trip from USA - Want to go Skiing (Early Sept)

>>she _ loves the snow gums<<

Oh yes, snow gums are so beautiful, that is something special about Australia's high country. :-)

australia
Level Contributor
527 posts
51 reviews
23. Re: Short work trip from USA - Want to go Skiing (Early Sept)

I too am suggesting that our ski fields aren’t great. And this season is pretty bad. We’ve skied both here and O/S for 35 years....but never here again. If you have your heart set on it then Perisher is a bit more accessible off the slopes. But why not do something truly Aussie and take a quick trip to Uluru or snorkel the Great Barrier Reef? It sounds like you can do ‘mediocre’ skiing anytime. I know I’ll get panned for posting this! Lol. But I can’t help feeling you’ll be disappointed. Sorry.

Toledo, Ohio
8 posts
24. Re: Short work trip from USA - Want to go Skiing (Early Sept)

I value all input and I can't disagree with the backup plan. If the season is a wreck then I will deviate, but I'll decide that in August.

I do a lot of late season trips at home too, and love the reduced crowds. and Every year everyone is so worried about the surface and typically I find that over 80% of the runs are perfectly acceptable if a bit slow so I often disregard end of season jitters. And it will be even less to worry without my own ski's. I don't purposely wreck hired equipment but if there's spots of snirt, actual dirt, or god forbid rocks at least I won't feel obligated to preserve my own equipment.

Reply to: Short work trip from USA - Want to go Skiing (Early Sept)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted