We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

Richboro...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

Hi! We were debating doing the Sydney Bridge Climb but I also see it is possible to simply walk the bridge. Is the climb the way to go, or can you still get great views by walking across the bridge? Also, if we did the climb, do you think it’s best to go for broke to the top, or is the abbreviated climb halfway still worthwhile?

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,461 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

Really depends on how much time/money you have. Walking across the bridge at road level is easy, quick and free.

The middle alternative is to climb the Pylon for cost $15 (note there are 200 steps to the top) - you can also take your own camera. This is a daytime only climb.

http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

Totally agree with dytokyo. Additionally, it is about the experience. A bit like looking at the opera house from afar or going to a concert and doing the backstage tour. You will learn more about the bridge and the view on top is great (subject to weather). How much value you attach to that, only you can say. People do put that on their bucket list so it can't be too bad. ;)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

i enjoyed walking the bridge for free and the pylon tower as much as the bridge climb. The bridge climb is so structured that its not very exciting. clipped in, not near side, safety rails that you really dont appear to be a bridge at all.

For the cost i preferred the pylon tower as i was able to take photos. the shortened bridge climb still goes to the top, but via a different route.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

It depends on the level of excitement you are seeking :) . Really, walking the bridge for free will get you more photo opportunities, as you cannot take your camera with you on the climbs...and since you are inside the structure for part of the paid climb, you would not get good pictures. However, if you want a thrill, you can either take the inner bridge climb (sampler) for 1 1/2 hours, or the over the top tour tour (lots of $$) for huge rush.

Just depends on your preference. My husband and I are older, and did the partial climb of the bridge (still very high!), with the full safety gear and a great guide...and really enjoyed it.

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

The views from the top of the Bridge Climb are definitely superior (360 degrees without any obstruction) to those from either halfway up or from the road. However, the cost of the Climb is fairly exorbitant & probably not for those who suffer from vertigo! If you elect to walk try & do both sides.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

I walk across the bridge every now and again on my way to work. Get off at Milsons Point, walk across, enjoy the sunrise. Even as a local it's still pretty magical.

Make sure to keep to the left and let joggers & fast walkers pass.

The bridge climb is great, but obviously one of those things you do once only. Still haven't done the Pylon.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

When are you intending to travel?

If travelling 1st October onwards, be advised the format will change slightly from what is currently advertised, due to the much publicised change of management. I'm not sure if this has been officially verified, but this has been rumoured in the media;

1.5hr Lower Arch Tour (BridgeClimb Sampler)

3.5hr Daytime Summit Tour (BridgeClimb Day)

3.5hr Night Summit Tour (BridgeClimb Night)

3.5hr Twilight Summit Tour (BridgeClimb Twilight)

3.5hr Dawn Summit Tour (BridgeClimb Dawn)

2 ¼ hr Fast Summit Tour (BridgeClimb® Express)

3.5 hr Summit Tour (Mandarin)

2 ¼ hr Fast Summit Tour (Mandarin)

Edited: 15 July 2018, 01:45
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

"Still haven't done the Pylon."

We've been trying to do it since 2016 but every time we set out to go there we would end up somewhere else. Finally managed it this weekend and we loved the Pylon, even though the Bastille Fesitval and school holidays meant that whole area was very crowded.

While I am sure Bridge Climb is equally fantastic the Pylon was more than enough for me, and the price for the Pylon was far better than the $$$ they want for Bridge Climb. I think the extra benefit is that you can stay as long as you want and take as many photos as you want with your own equipment. If you get a bit cold you can head inside the top level and take shelter for a little bit, then head back out.

There used to be a photo of Sydney Harbour that Windows supplied as an option for a desktop photo and having been there now I suspect that was taken from the Pylon.

I think for those who struggle with heights and vertigo, the Pylon and just walking across the bridge itself is a good choice. I have trouble with vertigo and I was watching the bridge climbers from where we were, I could see it wouldn't be great for me but I was fine with the Pylon.

Richboro...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

This is fabulous information - thank you so much, everyone! We will be in Sydney this September. I actually do have a slight fear of heights but I force myself to face it as I really enjoy scenic views and interesting experiences. But based on everyone’s feedback, I am thinking the walk across the bridge and the Pylon may be the right fit for me! Thanks again!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge

I have taken visiting exchange students to do the pylon climb a couple of times. It is excellent. They have some information and old photos inside as well so you will get a little history and background. You will have spectacular views in all directions. They also have some information up the top to help you pick out the different areas of Sydney as you look out. If you are interested in this sort of thing, you could also take a map up with you.

Reply to: Bridge Climb vs Walking the Bridge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted