We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in sydney!!

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belfast
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in sydney!!

Hi could anyone help me with some sydney info. i have palnned all the tourist things to do but would like recommendations on restaurants and pubs. we are staying in the aspire hotel ultimo so i think its pretty central and we enjoy live music and good pubs with a lively atmosphere. also if anyone has any good ideas of any good sightseeing it would be much appreciated , ie.. markets etc. thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in sydney!!

China doll in woolloomoolloo (you need to make a reservation) one of the best restaurants in sydney. About $70-80 per person with alcoholic drinks so not too overpriced for fine dining. You can walk from the opera house to woolloomoolloo along a beautiful walking track that bends round the harbour past the botanical gardens. I would highly recommend. www.chinadoll.com.au

Paddington markets on the weekend is a good thing to do.

take a ferry to manly. Have lunch there. There are a few places I'd recommend: warf bar or skiff club for a drink (food is also good but very much a pub meal) there is a cafe on the beachfront called blue water that's pretty good. Garfish is a nice seafood restaurant but kind of pricey.

For pubs with atmosphere take a walk down crown street in surry hills. Not far from ultimo. You'll find that Sydney city centre is not very lively or trendy for bars, they are a little hidden and you need to know where to look. The winery on crown street is good, as is the white horse. The beresford (which is close to crown street) is also good with a massive beer garden in the back, good atmosphere.there are a lot of cool trendy restaurants along crown street as well so worth having a wonder to see what you like.

In the city centre there is a club/bar called the Ivy. It has a rooftop pool bar that is pretty cool. If you go late on a Friday night you may find it hard to get in but most nights it's ok. It's just off George street near wynyard station. If you ask someone they'll probably be able to point you in the right direction.

For live music there is a pub in the rocks called the orient. I don't know if they have live music every night but they do have a band on some nights. It's not the nicest pub in Sydney but I have always had a good time there when there's been a live band playing.

Ultimo is close to china town and darlin harbour so there is pleanty to see that's walking distance. You are not far from newtown which is interesting to visit, quite alternative, some trendy cafes, etc.

It may sound lame but the zoo is a good thing to do. It's located in mosman on the harbour and is accessible by ferry. The views of Sydney from the zoo are amazing and the zoo itself is also pretty good.

Hope that helps give you some ideas.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in sydney!!

G'day there forferbelfast,

If you're keen to get round and try a few places, rather than just looking for a local nearby your accommodation you could try these sites

triplej.yourevents.com.au/guide/index.cfm…

http://www.liveguide.com.au/

re the sightseeing and restaurants it is helpful if you give a bit more information to get suggestions that may best suit what you're looking for. What have you already got planned for your sightseeing and what sort of price range for restaurants are you looking for. Did you have a style of food in mind?

Edited: 04 January 2012, 13:43
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in sydney!!

Agree with Newtown being a great place to visit if you are into music as many pubs have bands/artists performing. It also has great caffes and restaurants, many which are Thai if you are interested in that cuisine. Newton is accessed easily by either bus or train from the city.

And Snodge, I am with you if forferbelfast lets us know more what they are into we can come back with more specific info.

belfast
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in sydney!!

hi thanks for the replies. as far as sightseeing goes we are palnning to do the usual harbour bridge, opera house, darling harbour. we had also planned to go to manly so thats good that you have recommended it. we are also thinking of taking a trip to the blue mountains. apart from that not much else we were going to sort out the rest when we get there. will take a trip to the zoo now that its been recommended. as far as nightlife we are pretty easy going we tend to prefer bars with a good atmosphere and we are open to anything as far as restaurants are concerned. we dont have a huge budget so nothing too expensive. thanks for the info any more would be great!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,709 posts
1,302 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in sydney!!

Hi,

Also have a read through the link below for additional info on pubs etc... & enjoy Sydney !

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-s402/Sydney:A…

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in sydney!!

Just had 4 days in Sydney over New year. We stayed in Kings Cross so can't comment on places to eat in darling harbour but would recommned the Opium Den (Thai and BYO booze) on Darlinghurst Road if you are in that area.

We did the City site seeing bus which cost about $35. It was a good way of getting to see the Rocks, the Bridge etc. although IMHO they do pad the tour out with some uninteresting facts and sites. We liked it as the ticket covered the Bondi tour as well as we wanted to visit Bondi on the same day. We also went to manly beach which is, i think, nicer than Bondi so if you can only do one do Manly as the ferry trip is great (actually the highlight for me of the day out). If you can visit Manly on a Sunday they do cheap tickets for families/extended families or individuals for travel around the city which includes ferries. We paid $16 for six of us. We were going to do the Harbour Bridge pylon tour but when we got there decided not to pay the $11 as the view from the Bridge is just as good. A must is Mrs Macquaries chair for the photo of the Opera house and Bridge. Someone told me the hero of Waterloo pub in Rocks is good for Irish music but we didn't have time to go.

Whatever you do you will have a brilliant time!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in sydney!!

Good advice blacksheep, having grown up in Sydney I must admit I haven't don't the tourist things like the bus, etc. I would agree that manly is by far a better trip than bondi and the beach is much nicer.

Mrs macquaries chair is along the walk past the botanical gardens from the opera house to woolloomoolloo. There is pleanty to do in Sydney that doesn't involve spending much money at all.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in sydney!!

On the balcony upstairs at the Clock Hotel in Crown St Surry Hills is a great place to while away a sunny afternoon.

9. Re: 5 days in sydney!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2013, 05:20