We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation near Herston

Victoria
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation near Herston

Hi,

I will be travelling to Brisbane from Melbourne in July (14th - 25th) for a course, which is being held at the Royal Brisbane & Women's Hospital in Herston.

I am looking for accommodation reasonably close to the venue, so that I can either walk or catch public transport, but that is also close to central Brisbane area, as it is likely that my mother will also head up later in the week for a girls weekend.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at accommodation that is not too expensive (say $100 - $150/night) and if possible would like a kitchenette so that I can prepare my own breakfast.

I am also considering whether I would be better off getting something really cheap for the 1st couple of nights when I am by myself, so that mum and I can stay in something a little nicer, or whether to just base myself from the start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation near Herston

there's a formula 8 just 500m down the road from RBWH. google it. cheap option.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation near Herston

Do you mean the Formule 1? If so, it has been looking pretty closed up for a while now - it is right in the middle of all those road works- the delight of my life as I live very closeby. All the windows are boarded up so it may reopen afterwards.

If you were wanting to head north of the hospital instead of into the Valley you could go to the Windsor international- a quick search of your dates showed double rooms for about $135. Executive rooms for about $170. A mouse over of the room shows the second one has a kitchenette- bar fridge, microwave and kitchen sink at least by the look of the photo. It is about a 10 minute walk to the hospital, and it is on the main road into the city so plenty of buses for your mother.

There is a great little Italian Restaurant on site as well.

Edited: 01 May 2010, 07:13
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation near Herston

I just did a search on the Accor site- they own the Formule 1 motels. They say that due to construction noise etc it will be closed until Audust 2010.

"Hotel Formule 1 Windsor Brisbane is located within the vicinity of a new tunnel being built by Brisbane City Council. Due to noise issues related to the construction of the tunnel, the hotel will be closed until August 2010."

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation near Herston

Hi Giantmidget,

The Hospital is pretty easy to get to by public transport as there is a Busway located just accross the street.

Something in the area of Spring Hill would be convenient, and only a couple of minutes by bus.

One place you could consider is Spring Hill Terraces. It is located fairly close to the hospital, within walking distance in fact...you can view the map with walking directions shown here: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=260+Water+St,+Fortitude+Valley+QLD+4006&daddr=Royal+Brisbane+Hospital&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=-27.450666,153.030818&sspn=0.008664,0.021093&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.451428,153.029144&spn=0.008664,0.021093&z=16

They have a "Studio Unit" with a kitchenette for a price of $130.00/night listed on wotif.com for the period you specify. They also have self-serve laundry facilities on-site which would be handy when staying for that number of days.

They get pretty good reviews here, see tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g255068-d299888…

The also have a single room with just tea/coffee making facilities plus fridge for $90 per night, if you didnt need all the other kitchen facilities.

You might also take a look at these others in Spring Hill:

Spring Hill Mews Apartments $115/night:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g255068-d122735…

Dahrl Court Apartments $100/night:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g255068-d609807…

Spring Hill Garden Apartments $110/night for a 1 bedroom apartment. Not listed on Trip Adviser, but you can view photos on wotif.com.

City Palms Motel from $80/night for more than 5 nights stay. Has kitchenette and wi-fi, very close to hospital (about 500m walk).

I found all these prices on wotif.com.

I hope some of these might be helpful. Another option you could look into, seeing you will be staying almost 2 weeks, is a vacation rental. I will have a look around and post back with my findings :)

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation near Herston

Forgot to mention, Spring Hill is also a short walk from the CBD, so would be handy to the shops, restaurants etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation near Herston

And some short-term apartment rentals as promised:

1 bedroom from $120/night:

http://www.astraapartments.com.au/details~LocationID~16~PropertyID~215.htm

1 bedroom from $130/night:

http://www.astraapartments.com.au/details~LocationID~16~PropertyID~303.htm

7. Re: Accommodation near Herston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 00:15