We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
noosa
Level Contributor
327 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

We tried King of Kings a few years ago, but were turned off by dirty toilets, cutlery and the manager yelling none stop abuse at her staff. Maybe things have changed? Are there any other good Yam Cha Restaurants worth trying. Anybody tried China City?

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

All the restaurants at Sunnybank are opened for dinner, they are even open Christmas day. The only time the Landmark may be closed, or it's sister restaurant Parkland at Sunny Park Shopping Centre, is when they are booked out for private functions.

Forget Haoke at Sunnybank Hills, it's just re-opened after being closed for months after not meeting certain regulations, which I won't mention on this forum.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 22:58
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

Hi LTB,

I was there just last Christmas and had planned to have Yum Cha with family, but they were closed for dinner. They weren't booked out, the sign on the door stated, open for lunch only. We thought this was quite odd, as I was the Operation Manager for 3 shopping centres in Brisbane a few + years ago, this included Sunnybank Plaza and Sunny Park, they were open for dinner back then??

Cheers Robert

Edited: 12 April 2012, 00:43
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
635 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

Landmark at Sunnybank is pretty good.

brisbane
Level Contributor
227 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

As a bit of a Brisbane veteran Yum Cha foodie, I would vote for the Landmark at Sunnybank too. As previously mentioned in this forum, on weekends the wait can be up to 1 hour at lunch, and they have a ticket system (complete with microphone announcer) to keep track of who's next in line - these are staggered according to table size, so a table of 4 is likely to get called earlier than a table for 10, etc. We've found a system to reduce the waiting, by ringing ahead - They will allow you to book for yum cha 1 hour ahead of your planned lunch. This doesn't mean that you get a table straight away when you turn up, but you get put on a "priority list" when you arrive that puts you ahead of the 50 or so punters that have turned up and are waiting in line without a booking.

By the way, my recommendations for yum cha at the Landmark:

The egg custard tarts (to die for!)

The soft fluffy barbeque pork buns

The fried calamari (always disappears quickly - my kids can't get enough of it)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

Landmark is pretty good but for us Golden Palace is still the best in town. Not just Dim Sum but plates of Calamari, Duck, Egg tarts the best Asian Beans ( mince/chilli/onion) in town.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

Oops, not Haoke then (sorry!).. Haven't been since it closed.

Landmark is usually open for dinner, but yum cha is only for lunchtime. Agree with the recommendation for fried squid legs. Just drink plenty of water while you eat them!

While you're in the area, go to Bar Boo for some home made gelato. All house made in small quantities - I love it (it's in market square).

Lennox Head...
Level Contributor
1 post
710 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

I agree. King of Kings can be unpleasant with the owner/manager quie capable of being abusive to staff and clients at times. The food has gone downhill over many years too. I'm looking around for an alternative but I know that some years ago I went to a lovely place in Sunnybank, which has many Chinese yum cha and general Chinese restaurants. There's also a good one at Stafford.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

Another vote here for Landmark. We have been going there for the last 10 years at least and it never disappoints. We always book the week beforehand and then rock up a few minutes before our booked time. We usually then get the next free table (suitable for our party). Its like "skip the queue".

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

Another vote for Landmark - first time I went was a real eye-opener with the crowds and the ticket system. But somehow it just works!

Most times we book, but on occasion we have been in the area and popped in and been lucky with only a 5-10minute wait.

Food is great, although I find the position you are located in the restaurant can determine the quantity of food you get passing your table, a couple of times I have been stuck up the back and didn't get a lot passing by.

There is also a nice looking place just opened at West End on Boundary Street. It has lines out the door on a Saturday night, haven't been in the try it myself but I am told its very good.

Ross...

20. Re: Best Yum Cha in Brisbane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 19:17