We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Beach? Where should I stay?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which Beach? Where should I stay?

I'm travelling to Cairns in January (yes I know it's stinger season but it was Cairns or Byron) and I'd like some suggestions on where to stay.

I'm travelling by myself so don't want anywhere full of couples, full of kids or full of partying.

I don't want anywhere too quiet as I'd like to go out in the evenings but not to party non-stop.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

Here we go

http://www.cairnsunlimited.com/nightlife.htm

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

Palm Cove perhaps. What are you going to do though? Where you stay should be convenient to the activities.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

Sounds like you are staying in Cairns, but it really depends on your budget on places to stay.

Have a look at the last minute sites for Cairns accommodation in your price range like www.wotif.com and then look at reviews or PM DE's like Verdant for more information and advice, or add a post on your three shortlisted places and perhaps someone can assist and give further advice.

Guess the question is too "wide"

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

you do realise that Cairns doesn't have a natural beach! Just a man-made lagoon. try the northern beaches perhaps Trinity Cove or go as far as Port Douglas.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

5 nmgs

"you do realise that Cairns doesn't have a natural beach!

This is incorrrect

"Cairns" describes an area 50 miles from north to south and this area includes many beaches. Cairns has city centre which is developed due to having a harbour same as majority of industrial centres worldwide.Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbäne, Rockhamptom etc etc etc the list goes on very very normal to have city develop around ports. The same port that ferries people out to the reef.

the OP asks "which beach"which suggest they have a good understanding of the area otherwise why would thay ask?.

For those that do not know the area, Cairns beaches refers to a string of beaches that run north of the airport to Ellis Beach. and include the popular Trinity Beach, Palm Cove and Kewarra.

Guest often end up at a Cairns beach and complain they are not in the downtown area or go to downtown after seeing pictures of Cairns beaches and wonder where the beach is. The simple answer is that Cairns is a massive area . You cAN stay in rainforesty bed and breakfasT, on wetlands like Billabong bed and breakfast, beaches like Palm Cove and in the city and it is all in what we consider Cairns.

Sydney for eg has Bondi beach yet technically Sydney has no beach, Kiwis have the biggest problem grapsing this concept, maye they do things differently down there.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

If you had read my post you will see that I did suggest the 'northern beaches'. What one person understands by a word is quite different from another. If I didn't know anything about Cairns I would expect that the word "Cairns" meant the area around the CBD and the area of most hotels etc. For "Cairns" I do not include Trinity, Palm Cove, Port Douglas etc. there has to be a limit.

I still say that Cairns does not have a natural beach. But do agree there are lots of lovely beaches around.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

Trinity Beach and Palm Cove ARE Cairns and they are the beautiful beaches of Cairns.

Cairns CBD does not have a beach.

Port is not Cairns.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

lol agree, no beach in the CBD, but Cairns has beaches. I have relatives and friends at Palm Cove and it is Cairns City area.

Poppett, Palm Cove may suit you, have fun.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,501 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

Any tourist brochure will say Cairns (ie the bit in the city centre, just like Syd, melb or Adelaide etc) and Cairns beaches...

almost the same..on TA we Palm Cove is from cairns

if i was looking for night scene I'd be going cairns central then daytripping to the beaches etc

much rather be close to home partying late than close to a beach with a drive home or reliant on transport

my next choice....draws deep breath and rounds up bullet proof vest would be the more tourist oriented Port Douglas and for a compromise palm cove

10. Re: Which Beach? Where should I stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2011, 02:17