We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am a bit stumped...

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
I am a bit stumped...

I am heading down to Australia in January mainly for the Australian Open with a few extra days on either side of the tournament to see a bit of the country. I land in Sydney so I will spend four days there before flying to Melbourne. After the tournament I'll have seven days left to travel. I definitely want to fly up to Cairns however I'm beginning to feel like seven days is an awkward number of days to work with. From the sample itineraries I've seen, it's perhaps too much time for Cairns but maybe not enough to see Cairns and something else like the Whitsundays (which I realize is a fair distance away).

I'm not renting a car so I'll be at the mercy of buses and public transportation. I guess the question comes down to is seven days too much time in Cairns and the surrounding region? Should I try and cram another destination in there before returning to Sydney?

Thanks very much.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: I am a bit stumped...

Well, look at it this way -- what to do with 7 days left in Oz is a good problem to have.

If it is important that you see the barrier reef, I say go ahead to Cairns. With the reef and several worthy day trips to nearby rainforests and the like (guided tours abound) you can kill a few days no problem.

Also, Cape Tribulation is not far off -- there are buses and tours that can get you there. A few days in Cairns, a couple in Cape Tribulation, and you're all set.

If you are neutral about the reef, you could instead take a ferry from Melbourne to Tasmania, and screw around there. Or for that matter, instead of flying to Cairns, fly to Darwin, and spend a few days in Kakadu and Litchfield national parks. Or rent a car, make a road trip to Adelaide, smelling the roses along the way, and explore South Australian wine country, or... (ok I'll stop now)...

Put it this way, whatever you choose, you win!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: I am a bit stumped...

7 nights in cairns city is too much but 7 days in the region not enough depends what you enjoy really. Also on budget because using tours and public transport can be very, very expensive.

It will be wet season and the area can experience flooding rains which can close roads when venturing out to remote areas.

However 7 days not enough for people like me, but for others different.

Animal spotting - Tablelands

Waterfalls - Tablelands

Hiking - Tablelands, Misty Mountains, cairns surrounds

Food trail tours - tablelands

Guurrbi tour, rock art site - Cooktown (go via Bloomfield Track if open on Country Coaches) stop a night enroute to Cape Tribulation.

Great Barrier Reef - outer reef

Fitzroy island kayak ing

White water rafting trip

Undara Lava Tubes

Mission Beach/paronella Park

Skyrail/Scenic rail

Will be very expensive but loads to do. Outback maybe affected by rain so would not lock into anything until here.

Kinglake, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: I am a bit stumped...

This might sound a bit simple but what is it YOU like? Do you want to see fish whilst snorkelling or do you wanna sample a bit of night life? Do you want rainforest, trying to spot wildlife? Or do you want all of it??

I agree with Verdant who says 7 days actually in cairns city is too much but the area & surrounds could sustain you for that amount of time.

Read all the guff on the web & narrow it down from there. There might be things that you wont be able to do (naturally cost & time play a huge part dont they?) & may have to save for next time you visit us.

Australia is open, 24-7 we'll be waiting here, probably watching the cricket...

Vancouver, Canada
7 posts
4. Re: I am a bit stumped...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I clearly need to do some more research!

5. Re: I am a bit stumped...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 00:19