We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving at GBR: struggling to decide!

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Diving at GBR: struggling to decide!

Hi, I am going to be in Ozzi for 5 days at the end of May with my husband, on my way from NZ back home to Europe. I booked the trip to Ozzi mainly for diving as it was my dream.

But I am literally going crazy to decide about which boat and trip I should take. I do not have money for the Cod Hole nor Osprey tours, thus I limited to 1-2 or maybe 3 nights live board. I have dive before in SEA and in The Caribbean, so I have some understanding of diving.

Questions:

What is the best tour: Ocean Free/Fredom, Pro Dive, Reef Encounter, Seastar, Passion... ufff... I do not know about the diving sites so need some HELP!!!

Is it really worth diving in those trips or is it almost the same view as the snorkelers?

Should I spend only 2 days diving and then go down to Whitsundays instead?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving at GBR: struggling to decide!

Hi mate

Only two of those options is actually an overnight trip to the reef - the rest are day trips. Here's a listing of some Cairns overnight reef tours, www.visitcairns.com.au/cairnsreeftours.htm, that should get you moving in the right direction.

Whether to dive or snorkel? That choice is up to you. All the above options will offer both. And definately try to fit in the Whitsiundays if at all possible - it's worth it for whitehaven alone.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving at GBR: struggling to decide!

I have done a two day trips out of Port Douglas, the Osprey Reef liveaboard trip and a day trip to the reef from the Whitsundays. The dive sites on the liveaboard trip were much better than those we did on the day trips, and of the day trips the sites we visited from Port Douglas were better than those from the Whitsundays.

I would suggest your best bet would be to find an overnight trip from either Cairns or Port Douglas. I can't recommend anyone specific, but you do want a dive only boat rather than one that includes snorkelling. The dive site choices are more restricted if they have to cater for snorkellers as well.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving at GBR: struggling to decide!

The reef out of Cairns would have to be the best for diving. Whitsundays are absolutely beautiful however that's because of the above water views rather than the underwater views. Whitehaven Beach is a must visit if you go to Whitsundays.

Go to

what-about-cairns-australia.com/scuba-diving…

for info on dive trips. You can pick up some very affordable liveaboard dive trips and this site recommends some of the best boat trips around.

4. Re: Diving at GBR: struggling to decide!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:41