We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far ahead to book acc for October?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
147 posts
27 reviews
how far ahead to book acc for October?

While we haven't booked the domestic flight yet we'll be arriving in Cairns approximately Oct 29th.

Should I be looking for a place to stay now or wait and hope for deals? Our international flight

leaves at 8am Nov 4th from Cairns so would it be wiser to stay in Cairns the night before vs

PD?

10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12,130 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

We have school holidays first 2 weeks of October so if in this time book ahead (October is last month of the season before stinger time).

Oops - you really are there in November so numbers will be dropping off but is it really necessary to chase the deal whn having a booking at the place you want better ?

Edited: 09 July 2018, 16:45
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,054 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

Cairns/PD is a popular year-round destination. The end of October is not school holidays, but I can't say there will be any "deals" available if you wait to book closer to that date. If it were me, I'd just book a refundable rate now and look later to see if something better popped up.

If your flight leaves Cairns at 8am, I would definitely stay there the night before. Sunrise is around 5:45 am at that time of year, so it would be light enough to drive from PD to Cairns to make an 8am flight. However, it would mean leaving PD just as the sun is rising in order to make it to the airport in time to turn in your rental car and check in. Do you really want to get up that early?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
2,066 reviews
3. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

AS mentioned book free cancellation accomodation & check closer to time to see what is available if looking for the best deal.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

I'm going to have a mini-rant here, sorry Ellemay and longhorn. I always enjoy your posts but, as a small accommodation-provider in a fairly isolated valley we mainly rely on on-line booking agents and mostly choose to offer 'free cancellation' as an encouragement. It is very frustrating when, after guests have booked and we have assisted them in all good faith, we later receive a cancellation. We understand there is often a genuine reason but it it very disappointing to think occasionally we have only been booked 'in case something better comes up', especially as at busy times we have often turned other people away. Sorry - rant over!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,804 posts
170 reviews
5. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

I had an early flight last October from Cairns. I drove from PD that morning. Yes, we had to get up early, but it beats changing accommodation for just one night, just to be closer to the airport. After all, we are talking about 1 hour difference in driving to the airport.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

Apologies for going off-topic before.

I would certainly stay in Cairns - or perhaps Palm Cove - the night before, especially as you have an international flight and would need to be at the airport 2 hours beforehand.

And as longhorn mentions the sun will be coming up and, having driven the coast road down to Cairns at that time before we are not keen to do it again as you have the sun right in your eyes!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,804 posts
170 reviews
7. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

Juts curious Sunbird, would you drive the night before and stay in Cairns if you had an 8 am flight?

Also, if the flight is at 8 and they have to be there 2 hours before, the sun will be rising just as they get to the airport. The sun rises from the east and when driving south, the sun is not in front of you.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

Definitely cromansydney, we would stay in Cairns. For one thing there is only one 2-lane road along the coast and if there happened to be an accident the road could be blocked.

I only mentioned Palm Cove because it is a nice place to stay and would give the Canadian visitors a pleasant experience, and it's about 25 minutes along a 4-lane highway to the airport.

Believe me, driving south the road is winding and being right next to the water with the rising sun the glare across the water can be blinding although, as you say, they would be getting there just on sunrise. But I repeat my warning about possible hold-ups on the 2-lane section - better to be sure than sorry!

Edited: 10 July 2018, 20:25
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,804 posts
170 reviews
9. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

I get your point Sunbird. However, the risk of hold up extremely low. Weight that risk with having to pack and check out the day before at 10 am. Then check in and unpack after 2 pm and check out again the next morning. To me that makes the previous day very fragmented and not as as relaxing/enjoyable as if you just stay put in PD.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
147 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: how far ahead to book acc for October?

thanks for all of the replies ! I booked the last night in Cairns as we can't risk missing that flight. I also

booked 6 nights in PD with free cancellation. I've never cancelled a reservation when I've done before, only

made adjustments in the dates.

Reply to: how far ahead to book acc for October?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted