We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car in PD? Should i see Daintree by myself or with tour

CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Rent car in PD? Should i see Daintree by myself or with tour

Gonna be in PD for about 4 days, was planning on driving up from Cairns. Gonna be staying at the Meridian PD, reading the hotel reviews many people say a rental car is not needed.....I guess the upside is that i can drive to Cape Trib and Daintree on my own, but would it be better to take a tour to Daintree?

Rental cars are pretty steep and i wanted to make sure it would be worth the $50/day....

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,060 posts
125 reviews
1. Re: Rent car in PD? Should i see Daintree by myself or with tour

We've been to Port Douglas a number of times. Sometimes we rent a car and sometimes we don't. It all depends on whether we are planning to spend most of our time in PD or whether we are planning to visit some sights outside of PD such as Daintree, Mossman Gorge, Kuranda, etc. If you only want to do a day trip to Daintree, you could rent a car for a day in PD. Just be sure to reserve a car in advance because it may be difficult to find a car on a same day basis. Also, factor in the cost of transportation to/from Cairns. Coach transport will run around $35 each way.

There are a lot of threads here about both self-touring Daintree and going on an organized tour. (I'm not a fan of organized tours, so we've always toured Daintree on our own.) If you do a search for "tour Daintree" and "self tour Daintree", you should get a lot of information about both types of touring.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,287 posts
2,080 reviews
2. Re: Rent car in PD? Should i see Daintree by myself or with tour

Its very easy to self drive & see the Daintree NP & Cape Tribulation from Port Douglas. If you are planning to catch the shuttle bus from Cairns you may be better off hiring the car from there.

It also depends whether you want to hear a little commentary & information about the region which is better by using tours.

For tours - this company is recommended by many.

www.tropicaltours.com.au - Tony's tropical tours.

3. Re: Rent car in PD? Should i see Daintree by myself or with tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 01:16