We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

My husband and I are mid to late 20's and taking 2 weeks to drive from Adelaide to Melbourne first 2 weeks in April next year as part of a 5 month world trip. Can anyone recommend where to spend our time, and where to visit along the way?

Also what is the weather like at this time?

Where is the best place to hire a car in Adelaide?

Can you recommend any hostels/cheap hotels?

Thanks

Alice

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

I plan on the same trip. What's my chances of finding accommodations in a bed and breakfast type place, or small intimate inn along the way?

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

My favourite places along this route are:

Robe - stay Robe pub or bushland cabins.

Port Fairy - Port Fairy YHA Hostel

Portland - Portland Backpackers

Port Campbell - port campbell YHA Hostel

Lorne - Great Ocean Cottages and backpackers

Queenscliff - Queenscliff Inn YHA and guesthouse

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

There are heaps of lovely B&B's along this route.

try Merrijig inn at port fairy for something special.

www.merrijiginn.com

or

queenscliff hotel www.queenscliffhotel.com.au

or

erskine house www.erskinehouse.com.au - lorne

robe pub

villa pescatore - robe www.robe.sa.gov/robelifestyle

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

Also visit the coonawarra wine region and there are heaps of B&B in penola too.

In April the weather will be turning cool and maybe a little wet.

Re hiring a car in Adelaide we have all the major firms- Europcar, Hertz, avis, thrtifty etc. Best to check out each one on the web.

For cheap hotels try the Caledonian Inn at Robe. You maybe better to look at motels in the other towns or youth hostels.

There are lots of lovely B&Bs on this route. Try Grey masts at Robe, Oscars at port Fairy, Stanmorr at Lorne and Waves at Port Campbell

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
84 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

Hi Alice

I would go along Highway 1 to Tailem Bend, and then take the Coorong Road heading south. The Coorong is a very attractive area, and it is worth getting out to take some of the walks through the national park.

I would suggest stopping at Mount Gambier (which used to be volcanic, and the town water supply is in the crater, which you can see from a walk/drive around the rim - takes about an hour to walk and take photos and definitely worth while). The area around Mount Gambier is limestone, so there are caves around the area, where you can take tours. They are somewhat different from the cave at Wookey Hole (the only one I can remember from my childhood in the UK).

From Mount Gambier I would drive the short distance to Mount Shank - it is also an extinct volcano, but you can walk down into the crater. As you walk, your footsteps sound eerie, as they echo!

If you are into the Catholic faith, you may be interested in following the Mary McKillop trail. She was one of the nuns who did outstanding service in the area.

If you have some spare time, when you reach the coast, just over the border into Victoria, take a half day trip up the Glenelg River at Nelson, where you can take a tour through one of the caves.

Following the coast road towards Melbourne is a really spectacular journey - it is called The Great Ocean Road. There are lots of areas to pull off the road and go walking to look a the cliffs.

At the eastern end of Great Ocean Road there is an area of temperate rain forest. Although this indicates that you can expect to get rained on, it generally won't be any worse than in Surrey in October.

For information about what to expect on Great Ocean Road, you can try this website: http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/ which should give you lots of images, and information.

If you have some spare time, it is worth making the trip inland to The Grampians (click on the "Travelling On" link on the above web address for more information). This area is regenerating after bushfires last season (by April the season should be over), and you can see all kinds of plants growing that you might otherwise miss. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see post-bushfire regeneration at its finest.

April is our Autumn, so you can expect about what you would get in Surrey in September, with maybe a few warm days (25 - 28C) too.

I would make sure I bring wind proof wet weather gear, as where you are going there will be enough gusts of wind to kill off an umbrella. Bring along layers of clothing, so you can get comfortable. You would definitely want to aim for an airconditioned car, as you can get very warm at just 20C when it is sunny, and the change in temperature as you get out of the car can be quite dramatic (no point in going down with a cold while you are on holidays).

An option to staying in hostels and backpackers is to book into on site caravans or cabins in caravan parks along the way (so you can self-cater). The RAA in South Australia is affiliated with the RAC in the UK, so you should be able to get information through the RAA when you get here, or maybe on line before you come. Also, through Mount Gambier and the other towns, you may be able to find some cheap country pubs to stay in. Generally if breakfast is included it would be cereal, toast, juice and tea/coffee, rather than a cooked English Breakfast.

You can get information about tourism from the SA Central website found at www.sacentral.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm… - the area you are looking for in South Australia is the South East, or the Limestone Coast.

Hope that this helps you plan.

Anita

Melbourne, Aus
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

Just be warned that 2 weeks to drive from Adelaide to Melbourne is a long time. Pushing it, I have driven from the far side of Adelaide to the far side of Melbourne in a single day - about 9 hours.

If you take the coastal route, which you obviously will, then it's longer but most people still do this in a few days. Spread over two weeks you'll be driving less than an hour each day... Which is fine, by the way, if that's what you are looking for.

Or, are you planning to use some of the "2 weeks" staying in each respective town? Then you've driving time is obviously a lot less. Anyway...

As others have hinted, you'll be wanting to head down to Mt Gambier (where you could possibly stay for a day or two) and then later on you'll be taking "The Great Ocean Road". That's a very well known tourist thing to do and if you make contact with tourist information places in Melbourne, or search google, you will find masses of information.

Unfortunately I normally fly, or drive the direct way from Melbourne to Adelaide - it's not terribly exciting and not much to do along the way. If you want more info about Melbourne itself though, then let me know (mark_andrew_richard@hotmail.com).

Enjoy your trip,

Mark.

Northern Territory
Level Contributor
156 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

It's not on the way, but since you have two weeks to get from Adelaide to Melbourne, if you haven't put Kangaroo Island into your schedule, do it. It's the highlight of SA in my opinion. You can drive down to KI, take the ferry, spend a few days and drive on to Melbourne via Victor Harbor.

I'd put a few days on Kangaroo Island well before the South East in SA. Sure the drive is nice and Robe and Beachport are worth a look, but the drive doesn't really get memorable til the Great Ocean Road in my opinion.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

I agree you would be pushing it to take 2 weeks!!!! We usually leave Melbourne around 6 in the morning and are in Adelaide by 2:30 p.m. - it's not that far. If you go along the Great Ocean Road it will obviously take longer and there is more to see but I still think you'd be struggling to fill in 2 weeks. We have also done it that way and took 3 days and I think we saw most of what there is to see. If you allowed a week you would get to see everything and not rush. The weather should be nice but it is always cold along the Great Ocean Road (windy). Adelaide has all the usual hire car companies so you shouldn't have any problem there. If you have access to the internet when you are here you should get on www.wotif.com.au. You can get great discounts on hotels in Adelaide (and all over Australia). You can only book 2 weeks in advance so if you do it before you leave Melbourne you'd be fine. You may be able to get a great hotel for the same price as a hostel that time of year. Hope this helps but I'd definately think about shortening the time it takes to get from Melbourne to Adelaide and perhaps using the extra time somewhere else in your trip. Hope you have a great holiday.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

Me again - I agree with the previous post that you should add Kangaroo Island to your itinerary if it is in your budget. You should use the extra week you've allowed to travel from Melbourne to Adelaide. I have lived in Adelaide most of my life and had never been until last year and was blown away. Particularly coming from the UK it would be like nothing you have ever seen. Absolutely stunning beaches (one beach was voted the best beach in Australia), the most amazing wildlife - seals (1,000's of them), sea lions that you can just about touch, penguins, pelicans, echidnas, etc. It is an extremely large island and you could easily spend a week there seeing everything. There is a ferry that goes over every day which you put your car on and it takes around 45 minutes. Writing this is making we want to go back. There is alll standards of accommdation to fit any budget. Hope this helps.

Melbourne
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive - Adelaide to Melbourne

before u leave, check out www.whatsopen.com.au to find out what's open in melbourne =) that way when u get there in the late hours, u can go for a nice drink or snack

Get answers to your questions about Adelaide