We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

I'm traveling alone and wanted to know the best day trips leaving from Hobart from the list below. I have two days to do two of these trips. I'd also love to experience some unique food which is also a strong preference of mine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- huon valley

- cradle mountain (very long day trip)

- Hastings caves & Tahune Airwalk

- Mount Wellington & Russell Falls

- Bruny Island

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,107 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

Cradle Mountain definitely isn't a day trip from Hobart, so of the others, I would probably choose Bruny Island, especially for the fine foods qualifier. Take a look at this list here for some useful information: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i28546-Laid_Bac…

How are you getting around? That page gives options including tours and a cruise, but the most convenient would be to rent your own car and go via the ferry.

There are other things you could do. The page titled Hobart Day Trips and Tours in the Top Questions on the right of this page will help.

There's information on other fine foods here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255096-c139513/Tasma…

From that list, Grandvewe Cheese is also convenient as it's quite close to the ferry.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

Hi,

The good thing about Hobart everything is very close so you can slot in numerous sites into your itinerary.

You don't have Port Arthur on your list ?? IMO; its a MUST do when visiting Hobart. Port Arthur is located 100kms south - east on the Tasmania Peninsula and takes approx 1.5hrs drive from Hobart.

You can also drop into Richmond on your way to PA . Its located only 25kms from Hobart and has some absolutely gorgeous historical buildings to stroll around and don't forget to stop and have Devonshire tea at one of the cafés.

Mt Field is a beautiful National Park and easy to drive from Hobart. Its a short one hour drive west just past New Norfolk. There are some very pretty rainforest walks and beautiful waterfalls the most popular being Russell Falls.

Bruny Island is lovely too however IMO you do need a whole day for exploring the island. If you like cheese do drop into - Bruny Island Cheese Company - (fab cheese's),

http://brunyislandcheese.com.au/

For additional info -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20250-Getting_…

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

Thanks luigi! Since i won't be driving I was planning on taking the peppermint yacht tour to bruny island as it looks incredible. But the tour I wanted to take of mt wellington and russel falls through under down under departs the same day, Sunday. Do you have any other recommendations of tours to bruny island or mt Wellington so that I could do both? I'll need to book a trip on Monday.

I've already looked at many options for guided day trips and these seem like my best bet. Hopefully you'll know something I don't

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,107 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

I assume you're trying to do the Bruny trip on a Saturday. You could try this company: http://www.brunycruises.com.au/

Their trip around the island by fast boat is very similar to the one with Peppermint Bay, but it goes to Bruny by bus/ferry from Hobart, rather than by catamaran.

Or this company does Monday departures to Mount Field (Russel Falls) and Mount Wellington in the main tourist season: http://www.tourstas.com.au/tours/mtfield.php

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

Thanks Luigi! I hadn't found Tours Tasmania and it looks like it fits perfectly within my schedule. I greatly appreciate your help.

Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

Hi Jessica,

Bruny Island is a great choice for a day trip. As a local in Hobart I take our visitor friends there for a look when they come to visit us. You will love it. I've heard nothing but good things about Pennicotts Bruny Island cruises, but have not done it myself as have our own boat.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,290 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

Pennicotts Bruny Island cruises are outstanding. I did it as a sea air combo in December - so the price included a 45min scenic flight at each end of the day with morning tea, lunch and the 3 hour jet boat tour, plus pick up and drop of to the airstrip.

Best day tour I have ever done !

8. Re: Best Day Trip Options from Hobart for end of April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 05:25