We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

Hi,

I just book my air tickets to melbourne and is starting my itinerary planning! Yeah! It is my 1st time in melbourne and my trip is 8days in november.

Trying to plan this as a more budget trip if possible.

I will like to rent a car for day trips out to places like philip islands, yarra valley and GOR.

But i read in the forums that parking in cbd area is expensive.

Can anyone help to suggest any place for accomondation and cheap/free overnight parking when we do day trips out?

And for melbourne city, we will return the car and travel by public transport.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

26 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

Should i head to start my GOR on day2 or do it later?

If i want to aviod staying inside melbourne on the day i arrive (6pm), where is a good place to stay if i rent a car direct from airport?

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

There are plenty of liwer coat options near the suburbs aroubd the airport. Tullamarine, Gladstone Park to name 2. Some have airport shuttles. Sometimes you need to look at cost vs convennience.

Cheers.

UF

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

Take the Gull shuttlebus to Geelong, spend the night there and pick up your car the next morning. You can return the car to Geelong and catch the V-line train to Melbourne. The train takes an hour.

Renting a car at Melbourne Airport and then driving on the day you arrive is a bad idea. Best not to get behind the wheel until you've had a good night's sleep in a bed.

Leaving the GOR until later in your trip is quite a good idea. You can pick up your car in Melbourne, drive the GOR then return your car to the airport and fly home. What time is your flight home?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

If it’s too expensive to pick up the car from Geelong Airport (AVV) and return it to Melbourne Airport (MEL), then don’t return it to MEL, return it to AVV and catch the Skybus into the city, about $22 I think.

https://www.skybus.com.au/timetables/

All the best.

Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

What do you all recommend for grampians if only for 1 day?

As i cant decide if i should go for grampians, or ballarat.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

What’s your definition of 1 day? Is that a day trip from Melbourne or an overnight stop from the GOR and do you mean you’ll stay there 2 nights to get your 1 full day or is it just a stopover for a couple of hours?

All the best.

Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

Hi stephen c,

Thinking to do 2 overnight stops along GOR ( apollo bay and warrnambool). 3rd day morning, to proceed to grampians, stay 1 night at halls gap, 4th day morning to either go direct to airport ( or maybe to go back melbourne as i hasnt really firm up the plans).

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

If you only have 1 night after Warrnambool, choose Ballarat. Usually it's late afternoon by the time you arrive in Halls Gap, so too late for sightseeing, and then you need to leave around lunchtime to get back to the airport (or Melbourne), so you really only have a couple of hours in the Grampians. It's not worth it.

Ballarat has a good wildlife park, an astronomical observatory, a fantastic botanical gardens on the shores of Lake Wendouree with heaps of black swans and other waterbirds, plus the outdoor museum Sovereign Hill.

http://www.sovereignhill.com.au

https://ballaratbotanicalgardens.com.au

http://observatory.ballarat.net

https://wildlifepark.com.au

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

Loki is right, 1 night doesn’t really leave much time for the Grampians UNLESS you leave Warrnambool really early and get to Halls Gap before lunch then leave Halls Gap mid afternoon the next day, sightseeing as you leave. It’s not ideal though as you’ll miss a lot of things both on the GOR and in the Grampians, reducing your enjoyment of both. That could also be 1 night in Apollo Bay and 2 nights in The Grampians. Days are getting longer in November but you’d have to be selective in what you see trying to cover both in 3 nights although what you do see may be enough for you. Those of us who visit regularly know what we’d be missing out on so that may not be an issue for you. But again, you’d have to be selective.

You have 7 nights so ideally you should do 2 nights GOR and 2 nights Halls Gap. Or stick to Ballarat for night 3.

All the best.

Edited: 10 July 2018, 22:41
20. Re: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2018, 12:53

Reply to: Where to stay in melbourne for cost saving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted