We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

philippines
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

How many hours before a flight should I arrive at the airport for an international and domestic flight?

12 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

I will depend and if have checked in on line.

For domestic flights, I like to be checked in 1 hour before the flight. I allow 15 mins most of the airline have machines.

For International, it depend on the Airline, they have "sweet spots" Airlines that only open check for one or two flights per day share the check in counters .. I fly out of Sydney and find that 2.15 hours before the flight there are few people lined up. I make sure that it is never less than 1.45 before the flight

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,153 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

I get to the airport 1 hour before departure for domestic; 2 hours for international.

philippines
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

But there are peak times at the airport also which can slow things down a lot.

I do not like being late anywhere so I factor 1.5 hours for domestic in Melbourne and 3 hours for international from Melbourne.

I have lounge access so it does not matter that I am extra early. But there are always plenty of places to just sit back and enjoy a coffee etc if you are early.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

In Melbourne- 1 hr for Domestic 2-3hrs for International.... lines at security can be long at certain times. Most domestic airlines close check in 45 mins before the flight. If you have done online check in it saves some time.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

If its a weekday in peak hour or weekend morning, add 10 minutes for the extra traffic around airport if driving...

If its a weekend, also add another 10-15 minutes for the busier lines in immigrations and security... i find that leaving on a saturday or sunday usually means the airport is busier.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,041 posts
1,909 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

I also arrive 2.5 - 3 hrs hours before international as I usually do a little shopping 7 use the lounge .. Domestic 1 hour as again I use the lounge. I hate rushing so prefer to take my time ... however 45mins is okay for domestic & 2hrs International. You need to take into consideration the time you are travelling & the traffic conditions.

philippines
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

Thanks for all the replies!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

Depends, if it’s domestic I’d say get there 1 and a half hours before. International they recommend 3 hours prior!

Healesville...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport

International can depend on the carrier and the time of day. Melbourne airport is usually very heavy in passenger traffic and my advice is to be there no less than 2 hours. I tend to get there 2 and half just to be on the safe side.

Domestic they now say 90 minutes or more as there is new stricter security checks recently come in. Err on the side of caution and always arrive earlier than the usual advice. You can always sit and have a coffee or just relax with no rushing.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne Airport
Melbourne Airport
Tullamarine, Australia
Reply to: How many hours before flight should I arrive at the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted