We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
38 reviews
Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

I’ll be in Melbourne for a conference in November and have three nights spare at the end (15th - 18th) before I fly home. I was thinking I might hire a car and head a little outside of Melbourne (max. 2-3 hr drive). I am chasing some advice out of Great Ocean Road (probably Lorne - I’ve stayed in Anglesea, Apollo Bay and Port Fairy previously), Mornington Peninsula (perhaps Rye) and Daylesford. I’ll be there on my own (female in my 30s) and am happy just to relax, go for walks, check out the scenery and main attractions. I was wondering if there’s a particular spot that might be more suitable for a solo female traveller in terms of safety and things to do? Thanks in advance for any guidance or tips.

14 replies to this topic
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,872 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

I'm going to be a bit parochial and say there are a couple of options down my way. Geelong, Queenscliff or Lorne. Any of those places would be ideal for a weekend getaway.

https:/…geelong-and-the-bellarine

https://www.lovelorne.com.au/

http://www.queenscliff.com.au/

Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

Thanks Famrick, you live in a beautiful spot :)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,872 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

Hi if you want to treat yourself to lunch Jack Rabbit winery has a nice café/restaurant with stunning views over Corio Bay. Another activity that I like to do when I can is head down to Queenscliff and catch the ferry over to Sorrento as a foot passenger have lunch and return its a pleasant trip and one you will enjoy. Also in Geelong the Archibald art exhibition is on at the Geelong art gallery during the dates you have free. I saw last years exhibition and it was stunning that may interest you as well.

https:/…2018-archibald-prize

www.searoad.com.au https://www.jackrabbitvineyard.com.au

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
206 reviews
4. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

If you're going to take Famrick's recommendations, there are of course lots of places to stay down that way. However, if you want to indulge yourself a little, you could consider the RACV resort at Torquay. It's open to anyone, but auto club members (from any State) get a cheaper rate.

There are also RACV resorts at Cape Schanck and Creswick ("Goldfields") (amongst others)

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

Halls Gap is a 3 hour drive. Ideal if you have 2 or 3 nights. It's a stunning location, walks, views, waterfalls, kangaroos...

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
354 reviews
6. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

You might also want to consider Wilsons Prom. It's a lovely area to get away from it all. Plenty of walks around and views out to the sea.

melbourne
Level Contributor
3,492 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

+1 for Wilson's Prom, but it is at the limit of your 3 hours from Melbourne. You may wish to stay in one of the towns near The Prom, such as Foster or Fish Creek, rather than in the National Park itself.

Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions. Looks like I have a bit of research to do!

Melb
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

If you have already been to the GOR consider the Mornington Peninsula. Heaps to see and do. There are great beaches....flat water and surf. Terrific walks. Wonderful cafes and restaurants. Check out the sculptures at Point Leo Estate or Montalto. Ride the Eagle to see the Bay. Amazing wineries and boutique breweries with great food. Shopping...Sorrento, Flinders and Mornington. Markets....Boneo and Emu Plains I think.

Edited: 02 November 2018, 05:52
Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller

Thank you. That all sounds lovely!! Accommodation seems quite limited on the peninsula at this late stage. Possibly that’s normal for a weekend but maybe also because there’s a festival on - Vinehop? So I’m wondering if that might lessen the experience if all the venues are full of people attending the festival.

Reply to: Weekend away in November for solo female traveller
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted