We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

Hello everyone,

I have read that New Zealand customs are very strict on allowing any food brought in from abroad. I know we have to declare if we do bring in snacks/chocolates. What about domestic flights? I would think that food and snacks are allowed on domestic flights but just want to be very sure. Can someone confirm please? I am flying from Auckland to Queenstown and like to purchase snacks/cold cuts, bread in Auckland for our road trips to Milford Sound and to Mount Cook. My time in Queenstown is pretty short and may not be able to find time to shop at a supermarket. Any suggestions/recommendation as to where the best prices in town are in Auckland and Queenstown are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,629 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
10 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,586 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

Of course you can take food, either in checked luggage or as carry-on. Even liquids are allowed on domestic flights!!

There are however Supermarkets very close to ZQN so I'd be reluctant to take meat on a long flight.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,229 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

There are cafes inside the domestic terminal in Auckland to buy snacks, fruit and cut sandwiches. Sandwiches should be fine to eat/keeping quality on a domestic flight to Queenstown. Buy some drinks too so you have something on hand to sip on board or when you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Queenstown
Queenstown
California
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

>>>Even liquids are allowed on domestic flights!!<<<

You can imagine how we were shocked to see someone with a 3-pack of wine boarding a domestic flight!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,612 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

There is a large supermarket just by the Queenstown airport. A 5 minute drive. The only restriction on flying with food on a domestic flight is having it squashed in your luggage.

You will pass through security on a jet flight from Auckland so anything over 100mls will have to be in your checked luggage and you have the risk of spillage.

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Auckland
Auckland
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

@Mike - they have liquid restrictions on domestic flights now?! That is news to me.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

I just checked the NZ Aviation security website and for domestic flights only weapons are forbidden (and this may include a kitchen knife), Liquids etc are specifically mentioned in the international flight section.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

There are infact three large supermarkets within a 5 min drive of Queenstown Airport. New World is closest (to the left as you drive out). It might be a bit cheaper to buy in Akld, especially if you have more time and have the luggage space.

Domestic security screen for weapons and dangerous items like lighters - I've just barely got through with my SwissArmy pocket knife (the big blade was borderline on their size guide!).

In the last 24months between Akld and Queenstown I've passed through security with: takeaway flat white coffee, multiple bottles of wine, a bouquet of fresh spring flowers (from a wedding), a ziploc plastic bag of lettuce from mums garden, a container of xmas fruit mince pies, frozen ziplocked raw venison and duck, fresh cherries. This weekend I'll have local honey, a zucchini & lemon loaf, and maybe a few fresh zucchini from my garden :-)

Better to buy from supermarkets than airport too... often specials on at supermarkets, and the airport is a captive audience.

Edited: 31 January 2018, 00:46
Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
60 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

Yes, food is allowed, but it must fit the Official National NZ Patriot Food list. So, allowed food:

1. Pineapple lumps

2. Proper jet planes

3. Steak and cheese pies (big ben)

4. Flat whites

5. Lamingtons

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,586 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

#8 +1

PLUS cheese rolls if flying out of Southland - AND of course Whitakkers Chocolate!!

Edited: 31 January 2018, 04:42
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,612 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?

Oops, sorry about misleading on the liquids. I was thinking 'international"

Zhuhai, cheese rolls are not just a Southland icon. You can get them anywhere south of the Waitaki. On a recent trip the best ones we had were in Roxburgh, closely followed by a cafe in Milton.. Check my reviews :)

Reply to: Domestic Flights within New Zealand...is food allowed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted