We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Which Auckland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond,Il
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

We will be flying into Auckland from the US on Sat. Mar 3rd at 5:00a and would like to go on a tour that day with Coast 2Coast NZ. They will pick us up in "inner city Auckland" at 9:15a and we need to figure out the best(and quickest) way to get there. Do you think we are cutting this too close and what would you recommend for transport? We don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but after being on a plane that long...I may be persuaded. Thanks

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Hi there

the AIRBUS is the easiest and most efficient way to get from the airport (www.airbus.co.nz). Bus runs every 10 minutes from the airport terminal and should take about 50 minutes to get into the city - you should have heaps of time after your 5am arrival.

Do you have to check in to your hotel and leave your luggage first, or will you just take your luggage on the tour bus ??

The AIRBUS stops at several places in the CBD (inner city). The easiest place for the tour bus to meet you would be outside Britomart, which is the AIRBUS's last stop, and is the main bus & train hub in Auckland.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Before 7:00am the Airbus has a straight run including into the CBD and down Queen St. The last stop is the terminus next to the Ferry Building on Queen' s Wharf. Is this site your pickup location also?

Depending on where you are being collected at 9:15am, I think that you would have sufficient time to grab a coffee or possibly drop your bags off before your tour pick-up. One place to buy a quick but decent eough coffee (and breakfast) is Esquires coffee-house next door to the Copthorne Harbourside Hotel, and which opens around dawn. This spot is handy to the Explorer bus service, the Airbus terminus, as well as Britomart that Andychef refers to above.

Richmond,Il
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Thanks to you both for these quick and informative replies. We will actually be picked up at the airport by the shuttle from the Airport Harbour View motel(where we are staying). We'll check in and leave our luggage at the front desk. Will we be able to take the Airbus from there as well? The tour company said that they pick up "anywhere in the inner city...any hotel". I'm not sure if one spot is more advantageous than another. I do like your tip on a place to get some breakfast, since we may be hungry or at least need some very strong coffee to stay awake! Thanks again

Regards,

Pam

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Unfortunately, the Airbus Express wizzes past the general area of your accommodation without stopping.

If you can get across to Onehunga itself, either take the train into the city or catch a bus. When you drop your bags, ask your accommodator for directions for the train station or the bus stop into the CBD.

For a city pickup, perhaps somewhere around the Britomart- Quay St - Ferry Building terminus might be a good idea.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

The AIRBUS does not pick up from Airport Harbour View, but once you have dropped your luggage there, you can take a relatively short walk (I would guess 5 to 10 minutes) to Onehunga train station (your hotel will give you a map), then the train takes 25 minutes to Britomart in Auckland CBD. (and only costs $4 as opposed to about $15 for the AIRBUS !!)

Right next to Britomart (or in the Britomart Complex) are several cafes for breakfast.

In the same building as Britomart is the Mercure Hotel, so maybe get them to pick you up there.

Richmond,Il
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Thanks so much...the train sounds like a great idea! We definitely would love to freshen up at our hotel after the long flight... I was also thinking about buying a Kindle Fire before we go and just wondered if anyone knows if it will work there?

Regards,

Pam

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Talk to the hotel re a pick up or transport for the City. I would not rely on the trains on a Saturday. Also Talk to Coast to Coast tours as they may have some suggestions, how are you returning to the hotel after the tour???

Richmond,Il
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Thanks for the info... I was really hoping the train would work out for us. Why is it that you can't rely on Sat trains?

Regards,

Pam

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Re Trains on Saturday. Many services are regularly closed over weekends due to high maintenance requirements and also all services are hopefully been extended which also relates to closures.

Have you confirmed that you can check in to your hotel early??

Normal check in time for hotels is usually mid to late afternoon.

Richmond,Il
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best transportation to "inner city Auckland"

Thanks so much for letting us know about the possible train maintenance. I just spoke with MAXX and there is nothing scheduled on the 3rd & 4th. I also found the place on their website to check for future service interruptions. I don't think we will be able to check into our hotel at that early hour, but will just have them hold our luggage at the desk. Thanks again

Regards,

Pam