We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship in port only a few hours

New York
Level Contributor
474 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship in port only a few hours

The ship will be in Port between Noon and 6 PM in April. We would like some ideas on how to get from the Pier to points of interest. How can we get to town, the city center or the Marine Parade? Am I missing anything? Can we walk from the pier?

Please make any suggestions as you think of them.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Marine Parade
Marine Parade
1,196 Reviews
Napier, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

If you search the Napier NZ forum you will find posts similar to yours.

The walk from the port to 'town' is approx 15mins at a gentle stroll. With the time limit you have in Napier, you could book a half day winery tour which will take you out into the countryside. Or you could hire a car for half a day and do a self guided tour. There is a boardwalk that runs along the ocean front, easily accessible as it goes right past the gates to the port. If you exit turn right onto the boardwalk it will bring you along to Ahuriri which has lots of cafes and quirky shops. Turn left onto the boardwalk will head you towards town, or walk along the pavement.

The iSite is located along the Marine Parade (oceanside). (iSite = tourist information centre).

Please post again with any further queries after searching Napier NZ forum.

Mentioned in this post
Napier
Napier
Hawke's Bay Region, New Zealand
Marine Parade
Marine Parade
1,196 Reviews
Napier, New Zealand
New York
Level Contributor
474 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

Thank you very much. I appreciate your response.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

Just back from a cruise which called in at Napier. As Napier is a working port we were not allowed to walk from the ship. Free courtesy buses were laid on to take us into the town

Mentioned in this post
Napier
Napier
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,748 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

I am in Napier at present and there was a large cruise ship in yesterday. There were lots of people and the area outside the I site was set up with stalls offering various trips and excursions, it looked quite well organised. There were also a number of shuttle buses with the name of the ship.

Mentioned in this post
Napier
Napier
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

I am in Napier on the 13th February, as all the trips from the ship are very expensive I would like to do something that doesn't cost too much money, was thinking of the art Deco bus, it looks good, any other suggestions

Mentioned in this post
Napier
Napier
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

Google Napier iSite to get information of what to see and do in Napier. There is an Art Deco walking tour around the CBD; Art Deco bus (NZD10.00 for all day hop on hop off ticket; you could get off bus at Ahuriri and choose which café/restaurant for lunch some have marina views others ocean views.

Mentioned in this post
Napier
Napier
Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
887 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

The walking tour is very good - volunteers take you around the centre of the town pointing out the Art Deco architecture and explaining about the history of the place. There is a short movie at the end with tea/coffee provided. It's a leisurely stroll and only costs about NZ$10 from memory. You could then have a meal and drink to enjoy the atmosphere. We found this much better than wandering around aimlessly without a clue about the place. You can get tickets at the iSite where the tour begins.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

Hi there, like every other post on this site, our cruise ship is only in port from noon till 7pm. We would like to go to the golf course at Cape Kidnappers, any suggestions on how to get there at a reasonable cost. The golf club are happy to send a helicopter which would have been fantastic, but the price is way out of our budget!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Kidnappers
Cape Kidnappers
304 Reviews
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

Two options ; hire rental car or take cab; I would think rental car for half day hire would be more economical than the cab? Have a look at Pegasus Rental Cars in Napier; email them to see if they can do wharf pick up. Cost is approx NZD50 for half a day car hire. Of course there are also car and driver services available in Hawkes Bay which would be cheaper than the helicopter but more expensive than cab or rental car!

Having the rental car gives you a bit of independence on the drive to and from Cape Kidnappers. Drive time Napier via Clive to Clifton Road approx. 25mins.

Mentioned in this post
Napier
Napier
Cape Kidnappers
Cape Kidnappers
304 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise ship in port only a few hours

Thanks for the info Clive, I will contact Pegasus.