We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paihia- 3 days trip from and to Auckland- December end

4 posts
Paihia- 3 days trip from and to Auckland- December end

Hi,

Please suggest top sights to visit / activities to do in / near Paihia. Would reach Paihia on day 1 from Auckland and return on day 3.

Activities I would like to cover is Scuba diveing (kindly also suggest best diving site and agents to contact) and Sea kayaking.

Have also been suggested to cover Russel Harbour nearby, Cape Reinga Excursion and Hole in the rock cruise. Are these worth doing? Is there a cruise which allows us to swim with the dolphins and not just watch from boat?

Also, kindly suggest best yet economical hotels to stay. I would be on my honeymoon.

Thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,409 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Paihia- 3 days trip from and to Auckland- December end

Hi Nick,

The best diving spot is the Poor Knights marine reserve which is out the coast from Whangarei. Dive boats operate from Tutukaka harbour. Near the Bay of Islands is Matauri Bay, which offers very good diving. The information centre located on Paihia wharf can advise you of dive trips.

Russell is only a short ferry ride across the bay from Paihia. Catch the passenger ferry from Paihia or go to Opua for the car-ferry. The dolphin tours include an opportunity to swim with dolphins. Do a half-day cruise to Hole in the Rock to free up time for other activities. Explore the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, visit Haruru Falls, and drive north to Kerikeri.

The Cape Reinga coach tour from Paihia is a full day excursion. Book at the I-SITE information centre at Paihia wharf.

What day are you arriving Auckland. If you are flying in on day 1 and then planning to drive to the Bay of Islands that same day, this action is not recommended. Jet-lag and fatigue cause endless incidents on NZ roads. To avoid this potential, either fly to Kerikeri on day 1 or wait overnight in Auckland.

Paihia has lots of motel accommodation right in town near the Paihia wharf. Go online to www.trivago.co.nz to see what appeals for a honeymoon stay. Russell is romantic, and has motel accommodation also.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,562 posts
450 reviews
2. Re: Paihia- 3 days trip from and to Auckland- December end

Do be aware that from around 23 Dec is the start of the NZ peak summer holiday period so accommodation might be very hard to get. Also note that Cape Reinga is a full day's coach trip and you actually only have 1 full day, which you might want to spend on the water.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Paihia- 3 days trip from and to Auckland- December end

Thank you for your responses.

My itenerary is as follows:

28th Nov- Arrive Auckland at 7:30 am. Drive leisurely to Paihia and arrive for late lunch. ( I sleep comfortably in flight and driving after flight should not be much of problem). Evening free for leisure. Please suggest if there is anything we can visit in the evening?

29th Nov- Cape Reinga and 90 mile trip (self drive);

30th Nov- Either half day Hole in the Rock cruise OR 6 hours Hole in the rock plus Swim with the Dolphin cruise. Drive back to Auckland.

I am confused regarding whether to take a half day or 6 hours cruise. 6 hours cruise ends roughly about 4 to 4:30 pm. We also wanted stroll around Russel. Is it possible on 28th evening itself? Or should we keep it for 30th after cruise? Is having a car for Russel is recommended or walking should be fine?

Also, are there any other interesting places we can visit while travelling back to Auckland on 30th. We do not mind slight detour. In this case, I believe we will have to go for the half day cruise only.

Thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,842 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Paihia- 3 days trip from and to Auckland- December end

28th Nov- Arrive Auckland at 7:30 am. Drive leisurely to Paihia and arrive for late lunch. ( I sleep comfortably in flight and driving after flight should not be much of problem)

==================

Respectfully, I disagree. Driving with jeg lag is akin to drunk driving. Please reconsider.

I used Pahia Dive for a day's diving and was very happy with them. I paid a bit extra to have an instructor to myself as it had been awhile since I'd dived. He used the time on the boat to the dive site to go through some basic points to remind me again, which I found useful.

Are you aware that driving on 90-Mile Beach is prohibited by most rental car agencies?

If you haven't already, have a look at the green 'Things to Do' ribbon at the top of the page.

If the OP (Nick N) and Nikunj89 are one and the same poster, then you need to contact TA to merge your accounts - you're only permitted one:

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

5. Re: Paihia- 3 days trip from and to Auckland- December end

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2018, 21:18