We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taupo or Rotorua for the extra day?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Taupo or Rotorua for the extra day?

My boyfriend and I have 3 days to spend between Taupo and Rotorua. I keep going back and forth on which to spend 2 nights in and which to only spend 1, so am just wondering which has more to see/do in the town itself.

We are already planning to go skydiving (not me!) in Taupo, but can do that in between places, and will also visit Wai-O-Tapu and Kerosene Creek one day which could also be between stops.

I think that either situation would leave enough time for us to go zorbing (that's the only other "activity" that we're looking for, so I'm just wondering which place has more to see/do just walking around in town.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion but since I think we've already got the main activities covered either way, just wanted to see which town was more interesting/scenic to just be in walking around.

Thanks!

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taupo or Rotorua for the extra day?

Taupo is only a 1 hour drive from Rotorua so if you have a car you can easily visit as a day trip from Rotorua and save packing up and moving for 1 night.

Rotorua probably has more in the way of activities and attractions.

Taupo has the lake, which is really nice to walk along and swim in (in summer!) and some geothermal areas and hot pools.

Taupo is also closer to Tongariro National Park if you are interested in seeing the volcanoes and unique scenery in that part of the country.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taupo or Rotorua for the extra day?

You can walk around Kuirau Park with it's boiling mud pools, steaming lake, footbaths and pretty gardens for free. The Redwood forest has many pretty walking tracks, all free, and you could also hire a bike and go mountain biking.

When you go to Waiotapu, you will need to be there by 10am. or earlier to get your ticket and drive to where the Lady Knox Geyser 'goes off' at 10.15am.

Have you considered luging, horse riding,sledging,kayaking,and the activities at Agroventures? Lots of things to do in Rotorua for adrenalin seekers and then you can relax at the Polynesian Spa open until 11 p.m.

www.rotoruaNZ.com lists many of the activities and attractions to keep you busy in Rotorua..

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taupo or Rotorua for the extra day?

Thank you! I think Kuirau Park is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for! We might try out the luge or zorbing (we'll see how the budget looks by then!)

I think our plan then is:

Depart Raglan, stop in Waitomo Caves for a black water rafting tour.

Onto Taupo, hang out by the lake and in town, stay overnight in Taupo.

Skydiving or bungee jumping in Taupo, check out Huka Falls, head to Rotorua and visit Kuirau Park, overnight Rotorua.

Head to Wai-O-Tapu by 10, stop at Kerosene Creek, back to Rotorua and possibly luge or zorb, overnight Rotorua.

Up early and drive to Hahei!

Auckland
Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taupo or Rotorua for the extra day?

We always spend more time in Rotorua simply because there's more to do. We always make time for a day trip to taupo, the drive there is beautiful via the forest. Huka Falls makes a great stop.

The thing about Taupo is that its simply a beautiful relaxation spot. The main things to do are skydiving, and just cruising/walking by the lake. Its easily done as a day trip with possibly Waiotapu seen along the way.

You can make it back to Rotorua by the evening easily, you shouldn't find it tiring. Even if you do, a night spent soaking in the Polynesian Spa will make you forget all about it!

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taupo or Rotorua for the extra day?

The Rotorua Museum has been extended and the Don Stafford wing opened. Many visitors to the city have told us visiting the museum is an experience rather than just a display of history. There are many different facets (the old treatment rooms, art displays, collections, audio visual displays, viewing tower overlooking the city and especially the gardens) but the new Don Stafford wing is Rotorua encapsulated. The $18 entry fee (Oct 2011) is money well spent if you want to leave Rotorua knowing why the city has always been a magnet for tourists.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taupo or Rotorua for the extra day?

Zorbing is probably the most expensive 16 seconds you'll ever do; I'd recommend going down the Kaituna in a raft or Lugeing.

7. Re: Taupo or Rotorua for the extra day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 08:15