We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late night meal near Cuba st

Dunedin
Level Contributor
29 posts
148 reviews
Late night meal near Cuba st

Hi everyone,

Looking for suggestions of where to get food late on a Friday night. We land at 8.30, so by the time we get into the city and drop our bags it’s going to be pretty late. We were hoping to go to Fidel’s but it looks like the close at 10 and not sure if that’ll be cutting it too close. Any type of restaurant suggestions very welcome, we’d just prefer to sit in somewhere than get takeout if possible.

Thanks in advance!

10 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
389 reviews
1. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

Restaurants will be winding down by that time, but there are some cheap Asian places in Cuba St that will still be open. Other possibilities are Havana Bar in Wigan St or Hotel Bristol.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
408 posts
246 reviews
2. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

The Friday Night Market at the Left Bank on Cuba Mall (just up from the Bucket Fountain) always has a good selection of food stalls and is supposed to run from 5 PM to 11 PM, so is worth a try.

Near the top end of Cuba Mall there is Ekim Burgers - but they supposedly close at 10 PM. About 2 doors down from them (across the road from Fidel's) is Heaven Woodfired Pizzas who are open till "Late" on a Friday night (Google has it open until 11 PM), both of which we regularly eat at every time we go to Wellington.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
221 reviews
3. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

Go for a wander along Cuba Mall and Courtney place at the end of it and find a "vibe" and menu that suits you. You should have some excellent choices.

California
Level Contributor
11,435 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

We had an excellent meal (for a reasonable price) at Scopa Cafe on Cuba St. Their hours are until "late" - check them out. https://www.scopa.co.nz

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,981 posts
170 reviews
5. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

Agree with Friday Night Market. There is some good food there. However, we made a mistake of trying something we never tried before and it wasn't good at all, to put it mildly.

Dunedin
Level Contributor
29 posts
148 reviews
6. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

Thanks so much everyone for all your helpful replies! You’ve given us lots of options to think about, and some reassurance that we’ll be able to find something! Great idea about the night market- I’d completely forgotten that it was on and we’ve loved it when we’ve been before.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

Places that are guaranteed to be open after 10:00 p.m and provide decent food include Babylon Kebab (193 Cuba), Midnight Espresso (a bit like Fidels) 178 Cuba, Enigma (also like Fidels) at 128 Courtney Place, Sweet Mother's Kitchen (southern-America style) at 45 Courtney Place, Chow (posher, modern Asian fusion) at 45 Tory Street and my favourite but furthest from where you are KC Cafe - cheap and cheerful but excellent Chinese food. The only one I haven't been to is the kebab place but google reviewers like it better than any other in Wellington.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
221 reviews
8. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

Personally I think that of all the places I've been to in NZ that Wellington has the best cafe seen. There is something about wandering along Cuba st, Courtney place and the streets off it looking for a meal.

The hard part is deciding on what to have.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,981 posts
170 reviews
9. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

I agree NZMike. We didn't know where to go for breakfast. Just walked around and saw a place that was very crowded. We though that was a good sign. The breakfast was excellent and prices were very reasonable. Shame I don't remember the name of the place.

Dunedin
Level Contributor
29 posts
148 reviews
10. Re: Late night meal near Cuba st

Thanks again for everyone who’s added suggestions. NZMike- usually I completely agree! Wellington has such amazing variety that you’re spoilt for choice and aren’t likely to go hungry. But this is the first time for us seeking a late night meal (lived there half my life and never faced the problem before!) and wandering around while tired and hungry probably isn’t the best way to start our weekend. Super appreciative of all of the advice given here as it’s given us some places to aim for.

Reply to: Late night meal near Cuba st
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wellington