We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown (TeAnau,Milford Sound, Dunedin, Mtcook) to CHC

Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
Queenstown (TeAnau,Milford Sound, Dunedin, Mtcook) to CHC

hi

have earlier asked about my it in. however due flight availability..i could be travelling from AKL to Queenstown. I would like some help on how best to do the route if I still want to fit in Dunedin for the wildlife tour?

Must do on my list

1. Milford sound

2. TSS earnslaw/Walter peak farm

(not sure if will pass through lake Wanaka but not a must - Wanaka puzzling world if passing through)

3. Mt cook hooker valley track

4. Mt john observatory

5. Tasman glacier walk

6. Dunedin Elm wildlife tour

7. Te Anau glowworm cave (is waitomo cave in north island similar? and which is better?)

Day 1 Sat 25Nov AKL flight to Queenstown. reach 1230pm. free and easy

Day 2 Sun TSS?

Day 3 Mon Milford Sound?

Day 4?

Day 5?

Day 10 ?overnight at CHC airport hotel

Day 11 Tue 05Dec 12pm flight out from Christchurch

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Queenstown (TeAnau,Milford Sound, Dunedin, Mtcook) to CHC

1.Queenstown - arrival day, could do TSS Earnslaw evening/dinner cruise. Should be daylight until 9pmish.

2. Full day in/around Queenstown

3. Drive to Te Anau - evening caves cruise

4. Full day trip to Milford Sound. Stay Te Anau

5. Drive Southland, perhaps around the Catlins, opportunity to see wildlife, could stay in Catlins

6. Drive to Dunedin

7. Dunedin

8. Drive to MtCook, overnight

9. Mt. Cook

10. Drive to Christchurch

11. Chch.

I think that'll hit your must-sees giving safe amounts of driving time each day, with sufficient 'days off' to enjoy the country.

Edited: 24 August 2017, 01:38
Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Queenstown (TeAnau,Milford Sound, Dunedin, Mtcook) to CHC

Thanks.I have to find out more about caitlins. Never thought of including it in my itinerary :)

May I ask from Dunedin to mt cook..which route should I be taking? any recommended stops?

How about from mt cook to christchurch? (will pass through lake tekapo?)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,142 posts
451 reviews
3. Re: Queenstown (TeAnau,Milford Sound, Dunedin, Mtcook) to CHC

There really aren't many choices. From Dunedin to Mt Cook you would go north on SH 1 to Oamaru and then up the Waitaki Valley to Omarama.

From Mt Cook to Chch you have two choices after Geraldine - out to SH1 and then north or via the Inland Scenic route SH72, via Rakaia Gorge.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
3,388 reviews
4. Re: Queenstown (TeAnau,Milford Sound, Dunedin, Mtcook) to CHC

Dunedin --

Think about

Portobello on Otago Harbour | Christchurch - Canterbury, New Zealand

www.newzealand.com › ... › Destinations › South Island › Christchurch - Canterbury

5. Re: Queenstown (TeAnau,Milford Sound, Dunedin, Mtcook) to CHC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2018, 01:17