We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About petrol stations and supermarkets

Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
About petrol stations and supermarkets

Hi,

Thanks to all forum replies I have finally booked my air tixkets and hotels for Nov/Dec trip as 2 adults + 1 child (7-yr old).

I have a tendency to plan plan plan. So been mapping my route/attractions/restaurants as much as possible on Google Maps.

As it's our first road trip in NZ, wanted to find out if i should also be mapping in petrol stations/supermarkets along the way? Any thing i shld take note for my itin below?

I seem to read a lot about buying groceries from supermarkets/self cater apartment. I thought there were decent number of eateries (at least so far in mapping my first few days of the trip). Or is there something i am missing out? Groceries more for breakfast? snacking? or dinners?

My itin below:

Day 1 CHC rest day

Day 2 CHC -Oamaru (via Ashburton/Lunch @Geraldine/Timaru)

Day 3 Oamaru - Dunedin (via Moeraki Boulder - 3pm Elms wildlife tour)

Day 4 Dunedin -TeAnau (Which route should i take?? Night Glow worm caves tour)

Day 5 Milford Sound cruise (likely taking the coach + cruise so as to enjoy the scenic drive)

Day 6 Queenstown (Free and Easy/Gondola/Luge)

Day 7 Queenstown (Tss Earnslaw and Walter peak -- is walter peak any fun for the child? the sheep show doesnt seem very interactive)

Day 8 Queenstown - Lake wanaka overnight

Day 9 Wanaka - Mt Cook (staying Aoraki Court - which days to go mt john observatory?)

Day 10 Mt Cook Hooker valley track - Lake tekapo mt john observatory (Shld i stay somewhere else other than Aoraki Court)

Day 11 Lake Tekapo-CHC . Overnight CHC JUCY snooze at airport

Day 12 flight home

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,219 posts
450 reviews
1. Re: About petrol stations and supermarkets

Day 7. The farm visit combined with the Steam boat should be very interesting for a child (adults too if you haven't seen many farm animals up close!).

Days 9 & 10 - bit confused by your question. How many nights do you have at Aoraki and how many at Lake Tekapo - it it 2/0 or 1 each? If you have 2N at Aoraki you will do the star-gazing there - same sky!! The Mt Cook tour gets surprisingly good reviews; The Mt John tours do not use the professional/scientific telescopes.

Regarding food - many Asian people do not like western food & prefer to self-cater & many NZ/Australian tourists like to save money!!

Edited: 12 October 2017, 01:14
Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: About petrol stations and supermarkets

Mt cook stargazing - is this the one?

hermitage.co.nz/en/…big-sky-stargazing

Shld i sign up for Day 9 or Day 10 stargaze at Mt Cook?

Day 9 Wanaka-reach late afternoon (either Mt Cook Lodge 1 night or Aoraki Court Motel 1 night)

Day 10 Mt Cook Aoraki Court Motel 1 night

Too much hassle to switch hotel? Mt Cook lodge is $150+ and Aoraki is $350+!

Day 11 Mt Cook - Lake Tekapo- CHC

Mt Cook walks - Hooker valley track; Tasman Glacier walk.

Still trying to see how best to arrange that few days.

And Mt cook restaurants look expensive! Where should i stock up on groceries between Wanaka and Mt Cook if i want to prepare my own meals for that 2 days?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,520 posts
289 reviews
3. Re: About petrol stations and supermarkets

As far as what day to do. What I would do is check the weather and book or ask if you can switch the star gazing tour if the sky is cloudy.

The walks, well you need to decide what to do first as the day will dictate for you.

+++ And Mt cook restaurants look expensive! Where should I stock up on groceries between Wanaka and Mt Cook if I want to prepare my own meals for that 2 days?+++

There is a large New World Supermarket at Cromwell in the Main shopping centre near the Visitors centre (look for the big Fruit Statue) or there is a new world supermarket in Dunmore st in Wanaka before you leave.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,219 posts
450 reviews
4. Re: About petrol stations and supermarkets

I didn't think the Old Mountaineer was that expensive & I've always enjoyed it, However some of companions had a really bad meal (greasy roast "lamb" that was more like old mutton ;-( and it has other bad reviews too - problems of keeping staff!)

5. Re: About petrol stations and supermarkets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2018, 01:17