We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Realjourneys vs Trips and Tramps

Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
Realjourneys vs Trips and Tramps

Hi

In end-November, I am planning to go on a bus+cruise from TeAnau to MS cruise, and deciding between the 2 (Real Journeys Nature Cruise vs. Trips and Tramps coach+cruise+walk)

Would anyone have any advice if you have been on both?

We are 2 adults+a 8-year old kid. Would like to have a chance to walk a bit...

Realjourneys seem to downplay the stops/walks - been trying to find out if they do walks around Mirror Lakes and The Chasm.

Trips and Tramps offer a short key summit hike or short walks post cruise which sounded attractive.

Oz
Level Contributor
15,227 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Realjourneys vs Trips and Tramps

Hi,

I hope the young goat is of the Mountain variety.

I would take the package with the Glow Worm Caves on Lake Te Anau the afternoon you arrive and the Doubtful Sound tour the following day.

The walks I would DIY particularly Key Summit.

…govt.nz/Documents/…fiordland-day-walks.pdf

Cheers,

Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Realjourneys vs Trips and Tramps

LOL. Just realised i have been using kid instead of child too often :P

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
3. Re: Realjourneys vs Trips and Tramps

Real Journeys will be a big bus of 50 people, Trips & Tramps will be around a dozen people. I've never been on a tour with RJ's but it seems that every company stops at Mirror Lakes and the Chasm, I'd be very, very surprised if they don't.

I'd call Mirror Lakes and the Chasm a short walk (10/15 mins), the hike to Key Summit will take a few hours.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Realjourneys vs Trips and Tramps

I can highly recommend Trips & Tramps.With a small group it is much more personal.I can't remember all the stops we did on the way to MS but we had a choice of walks on the way back.

My husband and I opted to visit the underwater aquarium so got off the boat a little earlier than the rest of the group on the way back.After our visit we were taken by boat to meet up with the others at the main wharf.They had all been doing something else.

On the way back in the mini bus the other people wanted to walk part of the Key Summit track which I could not do at that time.Instead my husband and I did a series of short walks with our guide.He was so good with his knowledge of the local habitat and showed us how the stoat traps work.Of course,being on our own with him we had his undivided attention.

We were dropped off at our accommodation around 6pm after a wonderful day.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
5. Re: Realjourneys vs Trips and Tramps

We just did Trips and Tramps and I highly recommend them. There were only 8 of us plus 2 guides (1 in training).

We stopped multiple times on route , did a cruise where we saw penguins , and did Mirror Lake and Key Summit on the way back. They pack you a lunch and there is coffee, tea, hot chocolate on board as well as tea and cookies after the hike. It was a delightful trip. Glad I learned about them on this forum!

6. Re: Realjourneys vs Trips and Tramps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2018, 00:18