We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it worth going to milford sound?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
4 posts
Save Topic
is it worth going to milford sound?

Hi,

Could I hear some opinions whether or not it's worth going to milford sound? as the cruise ship is quite expensive and I hear people saying that the road scenery toward milford is more appealing than milford sound itself. Thanks

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

I would consider the drive into Milford Sound as one of the prettiest drives we have ever done. And I have traveled. The cruise on the Sound is a experience of a life time. If I had to make a choice, I would do Doubtful sound as would most people say , those that have done them both.

The flight from Milford Sound back to Queenstown or even better Wanaka, is considered by many people as the high light of the holiday.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

I haven't been to Milford Sound, let alone New Zealand, yet but I will be heading there in 4 weeks time.

As above I have also heard/read that the road to Milford is a highlight of the whole journey so if possible drive. With transport out of the way you are free to chose where to stop, how long to take and what time cruise to get. I think early/late cruises are usually cheaper and depending on what is on offer only about $70/$80, which for a whole day experience isn't too expensive.

America
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

The drive all the way to Milford Sound is one of the prettiest drives in the world! The cruise on the Sound is not as good as the drive. The worst thing about a cruise on Doubtful Sound is that it is expensive...and you miss the drive to Milford. That's my not-so IMHO opinion, but I've been around NZ quite a bit.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
29,004 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

It is NZ's #1 rated destination for a reason!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

We've been to Milford Sound four times and love both the road there and the Sound. First time we did the boat cruise, second time the overnight on the Mariner, third time stayed at Milford Sound Lodge overnight and did the kayaking the following morning and the final time we took family there and while they went on the boat cruise we walked around and soaked it all up. We've also been to Doubtful and that was stunning. I like Milford as it's a more flexible journey and you can plan it to suit your interests.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

Milford Sound is a spectacular sight, and the 2 hr cruise ( we were on Real Journeys ) was fabulous.

We were just there this past January, a few weeks ago.

We stayed in Te Anau two nights, beautiful town, spectacular setting, and the drive to and from Milford Sound was one of the best drives we had on the South Island. Plenty of pull outs to enjoy the scenery. The only thing lacking by North American standards are the wildlife sightings.

GO !!!!!! You will enjoy !!!!

Edited: 15 February 2012, 10:17
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,285 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

The only thing lacking by North American standards are the wildlife sightings...

makes me wonder what type of wildlife you were hoping to see?

NZ has no native mammals, apart from a pygmy bat, and if you stop the car for a few minutes and take a walk you will see and hear a wide range of our native wildlife - birds :)

Bangalore
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

Yes, its worth going to Milford. And if you can, drive. The road and scenery is fantastic.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
29,004 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

There is marine wildlife which is pretty unusual to most people - seals, dolphins etc.

10. Re: is it worth going to milford sound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 15:08