We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange : AUD -> NZD

London, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
Currency Exchange : AUD -> NZD

Hello All,

I will be coming to NZ for Easter vacation so wondering where should I exchange the currency AUD -> NZD? Is it somewhere in Sydney or Syd Airport or somewhere in NZ or NZ airport? Any suggestions?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange : AUD -> NZD

I understand in NZ I'll get better exchange rate than here in AU.

However, im thinking to take some NZD (may be 150 NZD) from here though before I exchange more in NZ.

1> Any suggestion for places where I can get better exchange rate for AUD -> NZ before I fly to NZ?

2> Any suggestion for places where I can get better exchange rate for AUD -> NZ in NZ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange : AUD -> NZD

Somewhere on travellers forum I read :

"You will get better rates by using ATMs than by exchanging currency."

Hope this is always TRUE, If so, then I will use my AU Commonwealth Bank ATM in NZ.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,411 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange : AUD -> NZD

Use your card in ATMs.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchange : AUD -> NZD

Just walking up to a money exchanger at the airport, eg travelex is definitely the most expensive. High fees and poor rate. I purchased money through Australia Post and got a good rate. You need to order it a few days ahead though.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,598 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange : AUD -> NZD

The banks have the best rate. basically they are all the same and you get bank rate from an ATM. Seeing as most of our banks ate Oz owned, check with you bank to see which macines you can use without fees.

Sydney, New South...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange : AUD -> NZD

I always buy my money online at Travelex and pay no fees. If you leave it to the last minute to buy funds at airport, then you have to pay the higher rates

7. Re: Currency Exchange : AUD -> NZD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2013, 05:24