We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
176 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

hi, I was planning to go for a 2 night stay at a nice B & B at Mt Tamborine but now I am worried it is too long to spend 3 days there. Can anyone advise? What are the other regions nearby that area that I can visit?

Are there also cheap food available in that area? It appears like there are very expensive restaurants there and even cafes charge quite an amount for meals.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

Depends if you just want down-time or to do stuff. Personally, I'd say too long unless you are looking for a slower pace. Most do it as a day trip from Brisbane or GC.

Cheap food? - not particularly, but not outrageous either. The main outlets are catering for tourists as a captive audience & seem to make most of their money over weekends & school holidays. At other times I'd argue they don't have the numbers to keep prices down.

Other regions? - what are you interested in/looking to do?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
176 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

My itinerary starts with Byron Bay for 2 nights, then Surfer's Paradise for 2 nights and I was wondering if I should do 2 nights in Mt Tamborine. Or should I split it to 1 night there and another night at another national park or something in the Hinterland. I have no clue what to do with the rest of the days. I think I overbooked the duration of my stay in Gold Coast.

What do you recommend? If I do 2 nights in Mt Tamborine, will I be able to cover Gallery Walk, Main Street, treetops walk (canopy walk) and I don't know what else to do... I am also toying between staying at Avocado Sunset B&B or Amore B&B but I am not even sure they are on top of Mt Tamborine.

Is it easy to drive up? My husband is not a seasoned driver of mountains but have driven in the USA when we did west coast from LA to San Fran and back. Not sure if that is good enough experience for driving up Mt Tamborine. Pls advise. Thanks!!!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

Be aware that Gallery Walk is maybe 200 metres long ...but it is both sides of the street :) Personally, given that there are maybe 6 fudge shops & there are a limit to how many of those you need to visit, I'd allow about 2-3 hours to get bored with that. That's more than enough for us. But there are a couple of nice coffee shops & several cafes.

I haven't done the Skywalk at Tamborine, but it is less than 10 minutes drive from the Gallery Walk. In all seriousness I'd be surprised if you couldn't do all 3 in a day with time to spare. There are rainforest walks as well & some moderately interesting waterfalls. Also the Thunder-egg Park (fossicking for agate), but it waspast its best days 30 years ago.

Tamborine driving isn't hard if you are paying attention - good bitumen width & the corners are well sign-posted.

Sorry, can't advise you on the B&Bs as I'm not familiar with either (always a day trip from Brisbane for me), but based on Google maps it looks like Amore is close to the top.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 05:43
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

We were there last week. Did a day trip from Broadbeach, Gold Coast. Was about an hours easy drive from memory. We arent much of shoppers but had a quick browse at a couple. Had lunch, did the sky walk(took about 35 mins), did the Glow worms tour(about 45 mins). Wanted to visit the Cheese place but kids had enough, wanted to swim at the beach again, so convinced them to have a fizzy drink at Eagles Nest Beer garden where we were told the best views of coast are. It was pretty good.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
176 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

Hey ActRegular_traveller,

Thanks for your very helpful advice!

just did a search and found this O'Reilly's seem to be quite interesting. You think it's a good idea to stay 2 nights at maybe Amore B&B and do Mt Tamborine first day, then 2nd day head over to O'Reilly's which is apparently at Lamington National Park to try out the Treetop walk and some short walks. I am still trying to understand this Scenic Rim thing so pls advise if this plan works well in terms of distance.

What other places do you recommend I visit given I have 2 full days... or 3 left unplanned for?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

Yes, O'Reilly's is an option. More extensive rainforest than Mt Tamborine.

Personally I prefer Springbrook & the Natural Bridge at Numinbah. Better scenic points at Springbrook & impressive waterfalls.

Perfectly reasonable to use Mt Tamborine (or Surfer's Paradise) as a base to explore any of them.

This thread from about 2 weeks ago has links.

tripadvisor.com/…41099703

Mt Tamborine
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

Mt Tamborine is a beautiful part of the world. Indeed those are the words commonly used by our guests.

Two days is certainly not too much time to spend on the Mountain. In fact we have guests who have wished they could have stayed longer.

My husband (John) and myself are long term residents of the Mountain and we are very happy to impart our knowledge of the Mountain to our guests.

There are beautiful rain forest walks where you may see Australian wildlife (such as paddy melons - little wallabies), the Skywalk, where you get to see nature from a different perspective. The glow worm caves are popular as are of course the wineries, antique shops, the cheese factory and boutique brewery. There are art and craft galleries which are also popular. If people wish to partake in adventure activities, there is an adventure park as well.

I should also mention that the sunsets (and for that matter the sunrises) are often spectacular.

Our guests have never complained about the price of restaurants. We do not think it is expensive either.

Driving up the mountain is not an issue. The road does wind up the Mountain but providing people adhere to the speed limit it is not a problem.

I do hope this information assists you in making a decision and I hope that you have a wonderful holiday in Australia. If you do decide to visit the Mountain, I trust that you will leave here feeling that it is indeed a beautiful part of the world.

Kind Regards

Kay Tiley

Amore B&B

8. Re: Mount Tamborine - 2nights too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:15