We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
217 posts
35 reviews
Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

Hi I did read the other question about this and have a further one - I am from NZ I don't want to buy some myki concession card I will never use again I just want to buy tickets for 3 people to go to Ballarat and back. I can find NO information anywhere on how much this costs or how to do this geared for tourists? There is no explanation whether it is metropolitan and regional and how many zones for people who don't live there and don't know what the hell they are on about. (In NZ we have a similar HOP system for locals but tourists pay cash). Please can someone tell a dumb kiwi in words of one syllable how I get tickets for 2 adults 1 child from Melbourne to Ballarat and what it would cost? Thanks very much!

22 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

You need to buy a Myki for each person and Ballarat is regional.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

Yep, it's the stupid thing about the Myki system, its does not cater to tourists AT ALL! Unfortunately you will have to do what locals do, and buy a Myki card :(

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

I've heard some hotels are loaning MIKI cards to guests. It's worth asking.

For three of you it may even be worth considering renting a car for a day. The drive to Ballarat is just over an hour. Unfortunately you won't be eligible for any concessions on MYKI.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

Yes you will have to buy the applicable adult and concession MYKI's.

The fare Melbourne to Ballarat Off-peak is $12.74 for adults, $6.37 for concession One-way.

Same Day return is $25.48 for adults, $12.74 for concession.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/regional-fares/

That's the website you want to calculate that.

Add $6 to purchase each Adult MYKI and $3 for each Concession MYKI. But you can use those while your in Melbourne too.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 19:07
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

So for 2 adults and one kid Return plus MYKI purchase will be a total of $78.70.

To get them just walk into Southern Cross Station and talk to the people at the ticket counter. No need to book in advance as the train is never full except during peak hours. So early morning coming from Ballarat, Late Afternoon going from Melbourne.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
217 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

Thanks everyone. I am going for 2 nights to Cresswick - so would need to taxi/bus from Ballarat. And then sightseeing around so thinking it might just be easier to hire a car!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

Hire a car. Creswick is 15 kms further on passed Ballarat and is very easy to get to from Melbourne. However, bear in mind that there will be tolls to pay, so make sure if you get a hired car, then get an e-tag with it. You can drive to Ballarat on a non tolled road, but you will need to navigate your way through Melbourne suburbs to do it. Of course if the car has gps, then no worries.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

It's easy to avoid the tolls and is actually more logical to not take the toll road from the Melbourne CBD to Ballarat/Creswick.

Over the Westgate, Around the Western Ring Road, Onto the Western Freeway on to Ballarat. No navigating through suburbs, Freeway the entire way apart from getting onto the Westgate Freeway in the CBD, but thats simple at either the Wurundjeri Way/Flinders St entry or Power St entry.

It would be a lot slower and more difficult to take any toll roads from the CBD to Ballarat.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 20:59
New Zealand
Level Contributor
217 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

God I don't even know about tolls. Do I just pay at a booth or is it another prepay thing? Will try and avoid I think But will definitely need a map dont think the car will be expensive enough to come with a gps. Have copied your instructions down. cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
57 reviews
10. Re: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?

No toll booths here. Yes its another pre or post pay thing. But its very easy to get to Ballarat without having to worry about tolls.

Reply to: Melbourne to Ballarat on vline - how do tourists pay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ballarat
More Ballarat Topics