We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

Dear All,

After getting helpful information to travel around Melbourne using Public Transport, https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g25…

We (Early 30’s couple) are thinking of staying in Ballarat for 4 days and another 4 days at Melbourne. But yet, worried 4 days at Ballarat is too much?

Need your advice how to spend 4 days at Ballarat without boring.

Our Plan:

Day 1.

Mid-August, Friday Morning reach Melbourne Airport and have a quick breakfast.

- 12noon: Take Shuttle Bus to Ballarat (2x$34)

- Once reached Ballarat, Buy MYKI card for both of us. (Not sure which amount MYKI to buy yet)

- 2pm: Check-in at Hotel

- 3pm: Go to Ballarat Visitor Information Centre and Buy 4 attraction ticket from there (2x$112)

- After 3pm not sure what activity to do. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Day 2.

- Visit Sovereign Hill by taking public Bus.

- After 5pm come back to hotel by public Bus. Any other activity recommended after 5pm? Thanks!

Day 3.

- Visit Ballarat Wildlife Park by taking public Bus.

- Visit Museum of Australian Democracy at Eureka.

- Possible to visit Kryal Castle by public transport? Or is there any shuttle bus available?

- Not sure how long each of the above three we could spend. Then come back to hotel by public Bus.

Day 4.

- No Plan yet.

- Kindly advice if we could visit some other interesting places by taking public transport from Ballarat.

- If there is no option then we have to rent bikes and go around Ballarat City.

Day 5 – Ballarat to Melbourne & Visit Geelong Waterfront by V Line.

Day 6 – Visit Puffing Billy by V Line.

Day 7 & Day 8 – Great Ocean Road & Phillip Island Day Tour.

Thanks in advance for your inputs :)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

I'd drop a day from Ballarat and add a day between the GOR and Phillip Island tours so that you have a days break between each tour. The GOR tour will require an early pick up and a late drop off and takes on average between 13 - 14 hours.

If you are relying on public transport to see Ballarat three days should be enough. It would also be worth staying at Sovereign Hill to see the "Blood on the Southern Cross" show although I'm not sure how you would go for transport after the show you might have to consider getting a cab back to your hotel.

The V Line service from Melbourne to Geelong runs very frequently during the day and the waterfront and the city is only about a few minutes walk from the station.

Enjoy.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,513 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

If it's not raining on the afternoon you arrive in Ballarat, I would suggest a visit to Lake Wendouree and the nearby botanical gardens. Both are worth a good long visit IMO.

Edited: 17 April 2016, 08:06
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

You could visit Ballarat Tram Museum. They run trams on the weekend, and the small museum/tram depot is open for viewing from 4pm each weekday afternoon too. Some trams are around 100 years old.

http://www.btm.org.au

No public transport to Kryal Castle.

Just a small clarification that you will get to Puffing Billy by Metro trains(Belgrave Line) not VLine

Edited: 17 April 2016, 08:10
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
304 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

I agree with Famrick, 4 days is too much for Ballarat and is better spent added to your GOR portion. In fact, I'd be inclined to say that 2 days is enough but that's a tad too rushed especially since you are coming off an international flight on Day 1 and that you will lose some of your sightseeing time due to the fact that it gets dark early in Winter (6pm approx)

For other things to do: you could visit the many markets in the region but unsure if they're accessible by public transport - see: www.visitballarat.com.au/events/markets

Also, as mentioned mentioned, a walk around the famous Lake Wendouree is a definite must. Lastly, please be advised that Ballarat is generally colder than Melb (not sure why so do bring your coats)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

Thank you Famrick, beryl_be.

I am not sure if M.A.D.E and Ballarat Wildlife Park are worth spending a full day. If not I guess we could take train from Ballarat to Geelong on the third day early morning then visit Geelong waterfront and Werribe Open Range Zoo on the way back to Melbourne from Geelong.

Thank you YorkFoodie, Surely will try to visit Lake Wendouree and the Botanical gardens.

Thank you Michael H, But Puffing Billy I still can use MYKI card?

beryl_be, from Google maps it seems Ballarat elevation is 400+ meters higher than Melbourne. Maybe that's why colder than Melbourne?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
110 reviews
6. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

Check out the Myki visitor pack. Since you have to buy one, there are discounts for attractions like Puffing Billy and Sovereign Hill. And depending on your itinerary you may save a bit while in Melbourne too.

Scroll down on the attached link. It might give you ideas on ways to save a few dollars.

…vic.gov.au/tickets/…

Edited: 17 April 2016, 15:52
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
110 reviews
7. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

To clarify my previous post, you will need a Myki card, not the visitor pack. But it may be worth doing the calculation to see if the pack is worth it for you. I used it for Puffing Billy and the Melbourne Museum when I was there and even just those two made it worth purchasing.

Edited: 17 April 2016, 16:16
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

If going Ballarat to Geelong by train, catch train towards Melbourne and change at Sunshine. There is also direct bus (not myki) option but it only runs a few times a day.

Train to Puffing Billy is myki, but Puffing Billy is a special steam train, so not myki

Oz
Level Contributor
15,298 posts
50 reviews
9. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

Hi,

You will find the climate of Ballarat interesting in August compared to Singapore, indeed Melbourne will be only slightly less so.

Cheers,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
930 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Visiting Ballarat - 4 Nights Stay too much?

Hello

There is a motel attached to Sovereign Hill it is best to stay there when visiting Sovereign Hill so that you can then attend the Blood on the Southern Cross show in the evening.

You can purchase your Myki visitor pack at Melbourne Airport on your arrival before you take the shuttle to Ballarat. It is the same price as buying a standard Myki but includes discounts to sites and attractions around Victoria. It is also preloaded with your fees for the first day travel.

Cheers

Get answers to your questions about Ballarat
More Ballarat Topics