We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Costa Rica

Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Riu Palace Costa Rica

My wife and I will be traveling to the Riu Palace Costa Rica in October. Can anyone tell me if the Wi-Fi is free on the entire resort and I have read reviews saying you should wear water shoes to go into the ocean. Please let me know if this is the case.

Thank You in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Palace Costa...
4,552 Reviews
Sardinal, Costa Rica
10 replies to this topic
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g25612…

manchester
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

Yes the wifi is free in the entire resort. Signal isn't great around the pool but we had no problem using Skype and FaceTime in our room and checking emails and browsing the web etc by the pool.

As for watershoes, they do make going in the sea that bit more pleasant so if you enjoy spending time on the beach and in the sea they will be a good investment. Also the sand gets incredibly hot and so they are really useful for just walking down the beach too.

Edited: 21 March 2017, 15:10
durrington sussex
Level Contributor
22 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

Hi,can you tell me if there any iguanas on the beach or near the Rui palace please,I'm quite frighten by these,and don't want them to spoil my special holiday.

Also if they are in the grounds of the Rui palace hotel.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

@3,

Go to the reviews of the hotel, type "iguanas" above the most recent review, on the Search line there, it will filter only the reviews that mention iguanas on the beach and anywhere else on the property - e.g., https:/…CHECK_RATES_CONT or https:/…CHECK_RATES_CONT , etc.

manchester
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

Yes unfortunately for you there are some iguanas. However we only saw 3 or 4 in 2 weeks so the place certainly isn't overrun with them. They should be pretty easy to avoid. If you don't like iguanas, I would recommend that you never go to the riviera maya in Mexico. When I've been there in the past I've seen 20-30 a day and they are often around your sun lounger, pools, beach etc. Certainly Costa Rica has no where near as many. I really wouldn't let it put you off going. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

There has never been an instance in recorded human history of an iguana attacking a human being.

durrington sussex
Level Contributor
22 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

Hi Emma

Thank you for your reply on Iguanas I will keep away from mexico.

Can you tell me where to buy the shoes for the beach,plus I have seen a plug in for insect replent for the room

But not sure what pin plug to get and if jungle make is OK.

Do you have rui palace email address please.

As a special anniversary I would like to get in touch if I decide to go.

Also thank you for letting ask you questions

manchester
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

We got our water shoes from sports direct. They are quite cheap from there but do the job perfectly. I don't have the email address to hand but you can do a search on the forum for Riu palace email address and I'm sure it will come up before I've posted it a while back. I think the plug sockets are the two flat pin type. Jungle plug in will be fine. Take plenty bug spray for you too (minimum 50% deet) because those blighters will get you everywhere!

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask anything else, happy to help.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Palace Costa...
4,552 Reviews
Sardinal, Costa Rica
New Richmond...
Level Contributor
321 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

It's been about 15 years since I stayed at a Riu resort. I plan on staying for 7 nights. Are the ala carte restaurants available every night for dinner? Do you need to line up in the morning to make reservations for the dinner each day? Most adult resorts that I have been to recently all dinner restaurants you just show up & either put name on list or get a pager for when table is ready.

manchester
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

I think Riu have changed the a la carte system. I think you can now just turn up without reservation. I would check out the reviews of the hotel for more up to date information though. I went 18 months ago and it was reservation only but then a few months later I read that this had been changed. Either way, you are definitely not limited to the number of times you can go and so you can eat a la carte every night if you want to.

Reply to: Riu Palace Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted